Enthusiasm outweighed common sense | SouthernPaddler.com

Enthusiasm outweighed common sense

Too Busy

Apr 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
I went to Boy Scout camp last week with my troop. The boys had merit bdge classes all day and there wasn't any good training being offered to the adults, so I decided to sign up for BSA Lifeguard training and certification.

The first day started with a 30 minute classroom session where the waterfront director told us what to expect for the balance of the week. Any self respecting geezer would have gotten up and gone back to sit by the campfire right then. Not me though :wink:

Next up was the 400 meter swim. We did 100 meters of the "approach crawl" head out of the water, eyes straight ahead on our " rescue victim". Then 100 meters of approach breaststroke. again head up, no going under, keep your eyes locked on the victim.
Then a "restful" 100 meters of sidestroke. At this point I'm panting like an old dog and thinking Whoo Boy, glad for a breather. As we start swimming the instructor says "Hey, You guys are lifeguards, if you're doing the sidestroke, then you're towing a person, so get one arm up out of the water!" YOU"VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!
Then finally 100 meters of backstroke to which the instructor says "enjoy it gentlement, that's the last time you'll do the backstroke this week."

Well the rest of the week went about the same. Go to class , get in the water, swim laps. get out, learn a technique, jump in and practice it SEVERAL times, get out, explain what we did wrong, practice some more.

Well after about 150 jumps into the water I managed to suck in some lake water. This week I'm on antibiotics for pneumonia. Lake water and lungs don't mix.

By the way, I passed all the skills and speed challenges, so now I'm a 45 year old lifeguard :D

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Congrats TB! Gosh I remember those days with the troop at BS Camp. Alot of fun. Both my sons worked waterfront the whole summer at BS Camp 5 years each. Heritage Reservation near Farmington, PA. Glad you passed. How is that pneumonia working out for ya? I had it....ain't no fun.
Congrats again and get better!

coogzilla

May 3, 2008
So Cal USA
Big congrat's TB
That's great. Hope ya feel better. Pnumonia ain't no fun.
Take lots of vitamin C. It really does work.
Impressed, Coogs :D

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
DAMN!! Does this mean that Pamela Anderson is out of a job now??!!

BTW - congratulations on not being a geezer yet. No geezer in his right mind would ever have done that. You have a few years of "normal middle aged" time as a reward.