Epoxy/Fiberglass Strength | SouthernPaddler.com

Epoxy/Fiberglass Strength

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Found this information recently. Still doesn't answer "how strong is strong enough", but could be helpful.

Attachments

• 1794_001 (1).pdf
    126.1 KB · Views: 687

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Thanks, JD. I assume that 2 layers mean one layer on each side. I've never over stressed any bottom of any boat. They've been misused from time to time. Quality wood, covered with fiberglass, is tough, flexible stuff.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks, JD. I assume that 2 layers mean one layer on each side. I've never over stressed any bottom of any boat. .........................
In the text he states "between two layers of 6 oz." so I assume one layer of glass on each side. Hurts my head to dwell on that much data, but I see some things that may need more testing to verify. 3/16" cedar covered with 2 layers of cloth vs. 5/16" covered with 2 layers of cloth?

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
5/16" is about 25% heavier than 3/16". His test showed both equal pounds to failure with 2 layers of 6oz. cloth. Does not compute for me. There is a lot of data presented and probably overall accurate.
A "real" pirogue maker once told me anything you add to the build will add strength. It will also add weight.
Finding the right balance is what makes for a good boat.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Ummm, I question the 25% figure. 5/16 is 5/3 times thicker than 3/16. That's 166% thicker. That's 66% more material. I haven't weighed two, comparable pieces, but would expect the thicker chunk to weigh 66% more correspondingly.

Anyway, the second coating of fiberglass, on the other side, certainly adds strength and longevity to the already strong plywood. One day, it would be very interesting to actually watch plywood being made. One heck of a good invention!

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I told you it was too much data for me to think about. The 25% increase in weight was in reference to 1/4" strips vs. 5/16". My mistake. The comparison for strength was from the chart. 3/16" with glass equals 5/16" with glass? Just saying doesn't seem likely to me. If so how? Why?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Physically testing the various panels to the point of destruction is time and lumber consuming. Causes tired eyes and sore neck muscled too.

Take one shot glass of singlemalt scotch, lean back in an easy chair, take a sip. Repeat.