Epoxy/glass first, cut later? | SouthernPaddler.com

Epoxy/glass first, cut later?

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
I was thinking wouldn't it be easier to glass and epoxy the plywood first then cut afterward? That way everything has epoxy and fiberglass on it.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
funbun said:
I was thinking wouldn't it be easier to glass and epoxy the plywood first then cut afterward? That way everything has epoxy and fiberglass on it.

It would save a lot of work and time but you better have a good size area to work in if you are going to lay out all the pieces and glass them before assembling.
The down side I can think of is when you go to trim something , it is a lot harder cutting threw the epoxy and glass on the wood then just the wood.
Some folks have done it that way and they said it is a lot easier to glass the inside by doing that.

Chuck.

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
funbun said:
My first post that I made on this forum was asking about doing the same thing. It could be done on a simple boat like a pirogue, but you would still need to tape the seams on both sides. By the way, I didn't end up doing it that way. I ended up first building Matt's Touring Pirogue-T instead.
My first thread is here: http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2505

Jimmy

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Fun bun
You are going to glass the sheets then cut them, stich them together ,run a filet then have to use tape to go over the seams.
id you do it the way we do you can cut out the taping of the seams ,your cloth will take care 0f it.
Ron

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Well, this boat is going to be a hard chined boat, e.g., a box boat, jon boat. I'd like to put the hard chine on the exterior, but I see your point about doing twice as much work for half the effectiveness.