Epoxy help... | SouthernPaddler.com

Epoxy help...

gflippin

Feb 12, 2010
We're building a piroque with the boys from church. We've gotten the boat built and the outside seams fiberglassed. This past Wednesday night we worked on taping the inside seams. But, I checked on the boat this afternoon and the epoxy did not set up. The only thing I can think of is that it did not get mixed properly. Now, what to do. Should we mix up a new batch and go over it again? Or, should we scrape all the old out and completely re-do it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

JEM

How bad is it? Runny? Gooey? Gummy? Is the fillet hard?

You'll likely likely have to peel off, scrape, sand, and reapply.

But if it's just the fiberglass, you could try a test area: apply just some hardener on a small spot that isn't cured and see what happens.

gflippin

Feb 12, 2010
It's what I'd call gooey. I'll try adding some hardener to a small spot and see what happens. If that doesn't work, then we'll scrape, sand and re-apply. It's been a great project and the kids have had fun with it (probably not as much fun as the adults, though). This will be another learning opportunity to "follow instructions closely". Thanks for your help.

Greg

gflippin

Feb 12, 2010
We painted a layer of hardener over the gooey layer. I'll take a look at it Sunday to see if it worked. I'll keep you posted.

Greg