Epoxy over silicon caulk | SouthernPaddler.com

Epoxy over silicon caulk

Allen Cessna

Nov 17, 2007
Missouri River KCMO
It seems like this winter will never end up here on the Missouri River in KCMO. Today the snow and ice finally started melting from the tarps covering my first home made boat. I want to get this peero floating and finished.

I couldn't wait, I epoxy coated my "extra" boat ribs (first coat) inside my house and then let them dry outside when it was just barely in the mid fifties degrees. That seems to have worked.

My question is- can I seal the gaps between the epoxy coated ribs and the unsealled luan sides with 100% silicon caulk and then epoxy over all over it before I paint the interior when the weather warms up? Silicon and paint should cure faster outside than exoxy.

I realize that this is my boat but I don't want to ruin anyhing beyond repair. But I have found plans for another plywood and epoxy river boat project that might serve my purposes better.

Thanks
ABCNKC

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Think you're better off sealing the gaps with epoxy thickened with fine sawdust.

I use sawdust from the bandsaw or DA sander. Add silica spheres if you want the final color to be lighter.

Better to wait a few days and do something you know will work than spend a week later on undoing what didn't work