Epoxy recomendations | SouthernPaddler.com

Epoxy recomendations

Skyrock931

Jan 26, 2012
Pensacola, FL
Hey all. I am getting very close to having the $ to buy my fiberglassing materials to finnish off my Bayou Skiff. I am concerned though because it is starting to get very hot here during the day and cooling off only slightly at night (panhandle of FL). would it be better to hold off till fall to start my fiberglassing project since I'll have to do it outside or go with the extra long cure time hardner from Rakka? It has already been in the upper 90's during the day and its only the beginning of summer.

Just anxious to get this boat in the water since I see boats being pulled on the roads all day long on the way to the water. starting to get a lil jealous, lol.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I'm in Central Florida and it gets warmer ( Darn Hot ) down here during the year. The epoxy that I like is the medium hardener from Raka. Use to be that I would get one fast and one slow and mix them for my use. Now they mix it for you depending on how you want to use it.

So far they have worked really well in the heat and lets me have some working time with them when glassing a boat. I do not mix a big batch when using it but use several smaller batches so if it starts to set up there is not a lot of wasted epoxy.

My favorite trick is to mix a batch and then pour it into a disposable paint tray liner which lets it spread out and slows the curing time. If it was to stay in a smaller container then the heat it generates would make it set up faster. It also makes it simpler for me since I get the 9 inch rollers for epoxy and cut them in half giving me two 4 1/2 inch rollers to use. When one gets to sticky then it is removed and a new one is put on the applicator. I normally can glass the bottom or the inside with just one of the 4 1/2 inch rollers.

It's easy to tell when it starts to get sticky because it starts to turn white when rolling it out , that is when it's time to change rollers.

Best thing is to call Larry at Raka and see what he suggests. Also if you can it is better to glass the boat under a cover since the weather can be a royal pain when doing it out side and not even mentioning the bugs that might land on the wet epoxy. Make sure the neighbors cat does not like to hop up on the boat. :roll: You don't want anything on the boat and especially keep any oils or sprays away from the boat since they might not let the epoxy set nice and smooth and cause donuts or dimples on the surface of the epoxy.

"O" By the way when you epoxy saturate the wood on the boat do it in the evening when things are starting to cool down. The air in the wood will escape when the wood warms up cause bubbles in the epoxy , doing it when things are cooling down the air is going into the wood so there are a lot less bubbles and some of the epoxy is drawn into the wood that way. A light sanding , by hand and very light will remove any bubbles and what I call whiskers. The wood fibers will adsorb the epoxy and some of them will stand up like whiskers ( 5 "O" Clock Shadow ) the sanding removes them. If they are not lightly sanded then when you lay the glass on the boat they will grab the glass and cause runs in it.