Everglades , 10,000 Islands , Jan 2011 | SouthernPaddler.com

Everglades , 10,000 Islands , Jan 2011

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Everglades , 10,000 Islands , Jan 2011

Camp is set up , supper is ready to be cooked and the time to relax is here.
Evening has arrived , that magical , transnational , part of the day and the Cranes are flying threw the mash on there flight to the home roost while the Turtles and Gators are soaking up the last rays of the sun before darkness falls and this whole area changes.

As soon as the sun sets the moon will be up and the warmth from the day will turn into the cool of the evening and the starry night. The camp will be lit with the flickering of the campfire and later when hitting the sack the light from the flames , as they die down , will dance on the side of the rain fly while a faint aroma of the wood smoke drifts threw camp on the cool evening air.
The combination of all of that just makes the hammock a lot more comfortable and enjoyable , if that is possible. Then the morning will arrive and all of this will be just a memory from these peaceful times on the water.

OK, Now for the way it really was. :roll:

I packed the Jeep and aimed for Mac's place to ride down with him. We finished loading his truck and then were south bound with his fishing boat ( Stump knocker ) in tow.
Arriving at Everglades City we meet with Joe Fenell and John Depa at the Everglades City Motel. http://www.evergladescitymotel.com/ After checking in then planned our strategy to outsmart the fish at Jewell Key and Picnic Key. With most of the kinks in the plan worked out it was over to the Captains Table http://www.captainstablehotel.com/restaurant.htm for a all you can eat Fried Chicken or Steamed Shrimp with the salad bar. Then back to the motel for some drinks and the double chocolate brownies the wife made for us to take on the trip.

In the morning we went to the restaurant ( Everglades Cafe' ) next door to the motel. Had a breakfast of eggs , bacon , grits , toast and coffee that was really good with large servings. Having a good meal and finalizing our attack on the fish over breakfast and several cups of coffee so it is time to put everything in action.

John had his sail boat moored at the Rod and Gun Club so we dropped Macs boat in there while Joe launched at the Ranger Station.
Loaded the boats and started out. About the boats , Mac and I were in his fishing boat , Joe was in his wood stripper square stern canoe with the 4 hp motor , John was in his 19 foot sail boat ( Potter 19 ) which is going to be his camping area while down there.

Left the protected waters and aimed out for the Gulf of Mexico and then turned left to go down to Jewell Key. No sooner did we hit deep water then a wind came up and some large waves , a couple of them came over the bow of Mac's boat so we decided to aim for the back side ( protected ) area of the islands and skirt them as long as we could for a litter calmer water ( not a lot calmer but none came over the bow ). Next thing we know here comes the rain and thunder in the distance. On went the rain gear.

Joe following us on the way out of Everglades City from the Rangers Station..
e2011%20001.jpg

Made it in that storm to Jewell Key which we almost passed if Joe would not of seen the outhouse off in the distance to the right of us.
We pulled in and a few minutes later John arrived in his sail boat , we set up camp.

Joe's Hennessey Hammock on Jewell Key.
e2011%20002.jpg

My Clark hammock on Jewell Key.
e2011%20003.jpg

Johns sailboat , notice the color of the background ( Rain ) The inflatable kayak is Johns fishing boat.
e2011%20004.jpg

Mac's Tent on Picnic Key.
e2011%20023.jpg

Then set up a tarp since it would rain off and on..Later it was just on with no off switch. Night arrived and we did have the moon light all night , later towards morning the rain did stop and the moon got brighter. One benefit , no Coons raiding the camp at night.

Tuesday......
Up in the morning and a short time later we were socked in , in some of the thickest FOG that I have ever seen. Nothing to do since the boats were land locked on the beach.

The fog rolled in right after this picture was taken. Both the tide and the fog came in at one time.
e2011%20005.jpg

So I cooked up some cornbread , one pound of bacon and 12 eggs for us to sit back and enjoy.
After breakfast and cleaning the dishes we heard a boat out in the bay but could not see it because of the fog and shortly after that here comes a boat into view out of the fog , it is a Park Ranger , Ranger Cliff ( who could be an ambassador ) for the Park Service , he is the type of person you think you have known all your life , he very professional in his duties and courteous when checking everything to make sure it is the right way.
Before you ask , he can run that area with the GPS System in his boat , it is top quality.

Later the fog lifted a little and the guys managed to do some fishing.
e2011%20007.jpg

e2011-2%20009.jpg

e2011-2%20006.jpg

After most of the fog left .......John and Mac started comparing there fish sizes.
e2011-2%20011.jpg

The whole day the fog would lift and then settle back in , we never knew if there was going to good visibility or none. That night it was a full moon and the whole area was moon lite all night long. Supper that night was Spanish Mackerel , Trout ( spotted weak fish ) and Reds with a rice and vegetable mix. John was the cook and furnished the food , he did one really great job , that was a delicious meal. We were some full , happy campers.

Wednesday.
After a short breakfast we were packed and on our way to Picnic Key . We agreed to follow John in his sail boat encase the fog moved in since his GPS would take us there. A very smart move on our part.
About half way there the fog moved back in and before long the shore line vanished and the only thing we could see was the sail boat. After what felt like an eternity we arrived at Picnic Key , John was pointing and we followed , about 100 yards you could make out some shapes and about 50 yards you could see the key.

Beached the boats and set up camp.
e2011%20012.jpg

The guys tried some fishing alter when the weather improved and only caught non keepers.
Supper that night was the large Red Mac got at Jewell Key ( it had been filleted and put on ice) John was the cook and fried it in some olive oil , lime juice and Everglades seasoning , it was delicious.

Later that night we were sitting there in the moon light having a beverage and kicking ideas around about the fish when I looked over and next to John was a Coon sniffing around. I asked John if he had any hitch hikers with him and he said he was alone. Laughing , I told him he has one now. Shined the flashlights on it and away it went.

Thursday.......
Up in the morning , clear sky's , I cooked up a large chunk of Ham , 12 eggs for Breakfast.
e2011%20021.jpg

Then the guys took out fishing. Nice "T" Shirt weather and everything was just right. The fishing did not improve so lunch was whatever you had along and later supper turned out the same way.

John an Mac trying to figure out where the fish are. Joe was sitting near me out of camera range. :wink:
e2011%20010.jpg

Mac , repairing Joe's reel during the lunch time.
e2011%20022.jpg

That evening was a beverage and a comforting fire on the beach sand down by the water. Later some discussion about the front moving in on Friday and when we should aim back to Everglades City.
Later ( You Guessed it ) the fog moved in and was thick enough to cut it with a knife. Joe had his head lamp on and at about 30 feet it looked like a head light of a train coming threw a blizzard , the light was diffused into a circle around it.
With the full moon you could see better then when using a flashlight. All night long we had the moonlight , need to step out of the tent or hammock , leave the flashlight in there.

Friday ...
Up and after a breakfast , coffees , goofing off , sightseeing and some fishing from the beach we started packing the gear while waiting for the tide to come in so we could load the boats , the boats were grounded.
e2011%20020.jpg

We did end up moving the boats down to the water so we could pack them and aim for shelter at Everglades City. That was a smart move on out part because just before we got in there just as the sky turned dark , the wind came up along with some rain drops.
Back at Everglades City and off the water , loaded the boats and off to the motel. John's sailboat was moored at the Rod and Gun Club since he is going to sail down to Key West.

That Hot shower and clean clothes sure felt good and we had to clean up before taking out for supper in a civilized place. Back to the Captains Table for the Shrimp and Salad Bar. I guess we looked thirsty since the waiter left two pitchers of tea on the table for us. I can guarantee you that Shrimp became an endangered item that night at the Captains Table.

Saturday , On the way home.
The weather during the trip was in the upper 50's at night and when the sun came out I would guess the low 80's or upper 70's during the day. As John said one afternoon as we walked along the beach ...."It sure is nice to walk in white stuff , barefooted , and not having it be snow "

Chuck.......................................

My Clark on Picnic Key....... It offers a lot of ventilation.
e2011%20011.jpg

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
A most excellent report. Great weather, although there was some mention of rain. I guess you haven't lost your touch. :lol:

That only leaves you 9,998 islands to go. You sure you don't want to head for New Yorks' 10,000 islands also?.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The little Screech Owls were sounding off at night on Picnic Key so I know they are there along with a couple other campsites down there...... When the rest are checked out I might have to move to a newer area. Not sure if that would be the New York area.
Personally , I figure I never will be able to check out all of the islands , down here , that are worth camping on. Main reason is that I would run out of dry clothes. :roll:

Wet or not , it was really nice to get out for a while , No TV , No Computer , No Phone , to use a double negative ... No Nothing ... but Good Times , Good Chow and Good Friends. To put it Cracker wise....Bubba ...It don't get No Better then that. :D

Chuck.........

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Sounds like there's new management at the restaurant next to the motel. We didn't go to Captain's Table when I was there. Subway at a gaas station was the best eating place in town.

Was Jimmy's flag still flying at Picnic Key?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack........

Jimmy's flag was missing but that is expected since it has been a while and Picnic Key is a popular place.
Capt Doug is buying up a lot of places in the area , the Motel and Restaurant are just two of them. There is a 100% change ( for the better ) in them. He has his guide service , air boat rides ( I counted 10 tour air boats).
Leave it to someone who works with the public , he offers a 10% discount at the restaurant if you stay at the motel. In fact the cashier asked me if we were staying in any of the motels , she would give us the 10% discount.
You are greeted when you step in there , service is promp , the food is really good and the coffee cup never gets empty.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
In response to the post above.

Speaking of the coffee cup never getting emty. Got a question here. Some geezers like the coffee black and some doctor it up a bit.

NOTE: there are different doctoring additives when in the cafe or at the campsite.

However, the question concerns the doctoring while at the cafe. I get a cup and add a bit of sugar and cream/milk. When I have it to my liking and am drinking it and am distracted by the BS being tossed around not paying attention to the cup, before I am finished, a well meaning waitress will come along and ruin the coffee by putting more in the cup. Thus forcing me to re add partial portions of sugar and cream.

Why can’t they just wait until I ask for more? .

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
a Bald Cypress said:
<SNIP> before I am finished, a well meaning waitress will come along and ruin the coffee by putting more in the cup. Thus forcing me to re add partial portions of sugar and cream. Why can’t they just wait until I ask for more? .
After consulting with several other geezers,we came to these possible conclusions:
1. They don't care
2. They recognized your drooling as lack of capacity to make such weighty decisions :wink:
3. They know that real men drink tea anyway
4. Refer to #1

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
There was one goof up on the trip and it was made by no one other then myself. :oops: :oops:

I found that when you get a new camera ( In my case the Olympus ) and set it up then use it around home , make sure you take a lot of pictures to check everything out on it's operation. I didn't.

At the house I would take a few pictures and then post them but never more then a dozen or so. Then delete them and start all over to make sure I knew how the camera worked. Well down on the trip I got to 23 pictures and it said the memory was full. :shock: Can't be the card is good for a lot more.

The Kodak ( which has been on a lot of trips ) worked when the card was installed without any formatting or anything but just inserting it in the camera. NOT SO with the OLYMPUS........As it turned out I did not format the card so the camera was using it's internal memory and not the card. Can't format it on the trip , all the pictures ( as few of them as there was ) would be erased.

Back at the house I downloaded the pictures and after posting some of the pictures in the trip report , I formatted that %^&$# Card and now it is good for 1,600 pictures.

Makes me think that old saying is correct ... "A tool ( item ) is only as good as the person using it". It was nice having a small camera that fit in a shirt pocket and was waterproof on this trip , especially waterproof.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Subtle trap, easy to fall into. A Brownie Hawkeye would never have had that problem.

"O" Boy , half of the group on here will have no idea of what you are talking about. :lol: The rest of us will remember them.

Sort of like gas at 20 cents a gallon. Gas prices went up as we went south and at Everglades the gas was $3.49 a gallon.
Walking around down at Everglades City while at the motel and stopping in for a ice cream at a local market there were Stone Crab claws at 3 pounds for $20.00. They had to be fresh since they were right off one of the 23 stone crab boats going out at 4:30 every morning and returning around 5:30 in the evening.

I was going to get some and then thought better of it , got back here and checked the market for them ..... $14.95 a pound. :shock: :shock: Now I wish I had gotten 6 pounds of them down there. "O" Well I will stay with the Rock Shrimp they get off the coast in this area.

Would of , Could of , Should of , just does not cut the mustard. Why is hindsight always 20-20 ?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Joey........

We did like you did on the trip , in this picture , something we always do but with modifications for all of us since we were not camping under it.

100_1035.jpg

When the rain did not want to stop on Jewell Key we rigged Joe's Kelty ,Noah , Tarp up to 4 trees on the corners and then ran a line from two more so that line went threw the middle of the tarp about 2 feet higher making a slight "A" Frame tent out of it. Did not need anything else to hold it up and it worked like a dream , we cooked under it and then just sat around relaxing. It gave us walking around room and staying dry during that time. A 12 x 12 tarp can become the best part of a trip when set up the right way and Kelty makes some darn good tarps for the average camper. :D

Just an old southern way of setting up a tarp for everyone's enjoyment during inclement weather , a peaked top and all sides even off the ground for ventilation ,protection and comfort. :D

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Chuck, on that hot weather trip, piper finally got to put up the tarp after a couple of trips of carrying it back and forth. It really came in handy to get out of a couple of major downpours.

caddepa

Aug 27, 2003
New Jersey
Great job on the Trip Report, Chuck. I know you would have liked a few more photos, but......

Funny how those photos don't always show things the way they really are. With Mac holding his fish waaaay out front, it actually appears to be bigger than my enormous trout :)

After leaving you guys I spent 10 more days in the Everglades, then sailed over here to Key West, arriving just this afternoon. Not one drop of rain the entire time :roll: Most times I camp solo, but I really enjoyed the company on our latest trip (although I could have done without the rain and fog).

My thanks to you for the great breakfasts, Mac for the fishing lesson, and Joe for helping me solve the world's problems.

Next trip........ :D

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Great report Chuck... Brought up some fond memories. Was your smokehouse BBQ there and full? Guess I need to get back and steal another pair of "Jack's Fruit of the Looms" so I can plant another flag! :roll:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker said:
Great report Chuck... Brought up some fond memories. Was your smokehouse BBQ there and full? Guess I need to get back and steal another pair of "Jack's Fruit of the Looms" so I can plant another flag! :roll:

The smokehouse at both Keys was in good shape and they even cleaned the one at Picnic Key while we were there. It was during the peak season so they make the rounds checking them. It was one of the places the Ranger checked to see if he needed to report it for cleaning.
There was no shortage of paddlers in the area , there were a gang of them down the beach from where we camped on that one trip. One evening there were 6 canoes crossing over to Tiger Key just before dark. Going back in to the city we had a group of about 10 kayaks coming out and guess what , against the incoming tide. :lol:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Yakus Dirtyshortsicus, those weren't my skivvies. You got them from some gal, remember?
In reality, camping on outer islands would still be OK for me. But with pythons and anacondas roaming the inner reaches of that area, I'd avoid them. I've already tangled with a python of 9 1/2' length, and don't wanna do that again - t'ank ya ver' much!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Yakus Dirtyshortsicus, those weren't my skivvies. You got them from some gal, remember?
In reality, camping on outer islands would still be OK for me. But with pythons and anacondas roaming the inner reaches of that area, I'd avoid them. I've already tangled with a python of 9 1/2' length, and don't wanna do that again - t'ank ya ver' much!

Jack.........

They aren't the only ones crawling around down there. The last report I saw on the exotic species running loose is none other then the King Cobra. That old boy would have me worried , they get quite big have a nasty temperament and are nothing to mess with.

I would assume the west side , especially the out islands are a safe place to be since most of the exotics are found on the east side around Miami/Homestead and that area. Not saying they are not following the old saying ...Go West young snake , go west. :wink:

Jezze , they even found a large python up in the Ocala area which is the upper middle state neck of the woods , probably a pet someone turned loose or escaped from captivity.