Everglades , 10,000 Islands Trip ...April 07 | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Everglades , 10,000 Islands Trip ...April 07

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
See ..... I am not lying I do camp with these........

eglades%20059.jpg

Chuck.

CamperDave

Nov 12, 2005
Southwestern PA
Hey J immy....nice pics...looks like a nice place to DO NOTHING...and Chuckie...that shrimp in the skillet looks wonderful..I can almost smell it...mmm mmmm good as the Campbell soup kids used to say...also glad everyone got back safe and sound....camperdave 8)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The shrimp are easy to do , just use three pounds of them ( cleaned) with 1 1/2 pounds of scollop's for four hungry guys.

Take a large frying pan with olive oil in it , add some butter ( a few pats of it ) some chopped garlic (Lot's) , a little onion , stir it around and then add the sea food and a healthy amount of lemon juice. Then the Italian seasoning ( I use McCormick with Marjoram ,thyme , Rosemary , Savor , sage , Oregano and Basil in it ). stir it around and in a few minutes ( if you want to now add a little wine , what ever you have works good) stir it around and supper is ready.

Then I sprinkle on more seasoning and serve it. I use a fair amount of olive oil since I like to spoon some of it over the shrimp when they are served.

GLADES%20034.jpg

Chuck.
Had it last night for supper here at the house. The shrimp were on a bed of Fettuccini pasta with a butter / herb sauce. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
For you folks who are not familure with the area. A few suggestions.

1. The Road Kill Cafe is a rip off , example a PP-an J sandwich is #3.99 without the drink. That is a peanut butter and jam sandwich. :roll: Plus there grits with breakfast are nothing more then something you would want to fill the cracks in the road or parking lot with. DISPICKABLE an DISGUSTING. :twisted:

2. The motel was suppose to be $75.00 .. it was $98.00 per night , nice but overpriced. By the way the rooms are not ready till around 3 PM. This is the south and they do not move very fast. The rooms use to be a lot less , a lot less before Capt.Doug purchased the place and half of Everglades City. At the most I use to pay $65.00.

3. Suzie's Station says Cold Beer.... NOT.... Then the waitress starts in with the ... We .......DO NOT HAVE......... Plus what ever you order on the menu there is a 15% tip automatically added to it. My guess is this is why the service smells like a dead mackerel. A good place to stay away from like the road kill cafe. By the way they will tell you that is the only place that serves breakfast .... Lies , all Lies...... the BP Station has a good breakfast sandwich with lots of tea or coffee.

4. If you can find a place to stay a few miles away from there (Like the Fish eating Creek State Park ) it is less then 2 hours away from Everglades City. You will be better off. Stay there then roll into town , get the back country permit and take out. Just reverse the process when you get back.

5. Staying at Everglades City you will be paying more then needed and if you do then go to the BP Station on the main drag for a Subway sandwich , the best food in the whole town and not over priced , plus the service is fast and the choice is really good.

I am not bitter , just learned how things have gone down hill at Everglades City and now know a better way of doing it. I did enjoy the AC , a longgggggggggg hot shower and a good drink at the motel then later a Subway sandwich when we got back ( Phillie Steak and cheese ). The bed and the ac with the overhead fan was nice during the night , really nice , especially with it set at 60 degrees.......Money well spent.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
OR.........

Travel down the west side of the state and pull off at the Marco Island exchange .... make it over there and forgetting going to Marco Island just go a few feet more south and you will be at the entrance to Collier , Seminole State Park.

They have camping areas , Showers and facilities. Cost about $14.00 per night. File a trip plan with them (No cost ) and hit the back country.

Put in at the ramp then paddle out to Grocery Place, down black water river and thru mud bay ( Make sure your timing is at high tide) (there are two of them ) with the 2nd one being the better of the two. The skitters are bad so be prepared for them.

Then go on out to the Gulf and Brush Island , the best spot is facing Coon Key and Tripod Key which is on the west side of Brush Key. At low tide you will have to tote your boat since it goes out quite a distance and is land locked at low tide. But it is a small price to pay for the solitude of camping on a pristine beach and deserted Island ( Key ) .

John Depa has done this and so has Mac .. I haven't and will have to try it. Both of them have told me the fishing is great and you are out there by yourself.......... That sounds good to me.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Mister Sparkanator,

What if ya go in December-February? They got bugs then?

regards
bearridge

It may generally be remarked that the more a government resembles a pure democracy the more they abound with disorder and confusion. Zephaniah Swift