Everybody knows Herbert | SouthernPaddler.com

Everybody knows Herbert

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Herbert Boudreaux walks into a small diner and heads towards the counter. "Good morning, Herbert." could be heard from every corner of the room. He returns the "good mornings" with a smile and a wave and takes a seat at the counter. There's one person at the counter and he looks at Herbert and gives a slight nod of the head. Herbert looks surprised and says " Sir, don't you know me? Everybody knows Herbert Boudreaux.". The stranger says " No sir, I'm afraid I don't know you.". "But everybody knows me, even the governor." says Herbert. The stranger replies "If you say so.".

Herbert says "I"m going to the governor's house right now. You can come along and I'll prove it to you.". The two get in the car and drive to the Governor's Mansion and the guard at the gate waves and lets them in with no problem. They get to the front door, just in time to see the governor leaving. "Herbert, old buddy, how have you been?!". They talk a while and the governor leaves. Herbert tells the stranger " You see, everybody knows Herbert Boudreaux.".

The stranger nods and replies "Well, the people in town know you, and it 's not unusual that you know the governor, but that's not "everybody".".

Herbert, getting a mite testy, says "Well, President Bush knows me well, also." They jump in Herbert's private jet and head to Washington. Herbert phones ahead and there is an official White House limo waiting at the airport.

The limo drives up in front of the White House and there's the President , waiting at the curb with a couple of cold ones. "Herbert, you old son of a gun, how have you been?!". They talk about old times and take a private tour of the House.

By this time , the stranger is starting to get the picture. Herbert says " I told you. Everybody knows Herbert Boudreaux. I tell you what, let's go to Rome and I'll introduce you to the Pope."

They go to Rome and meet a huge crowd outside the Vatican. Herbert tells the stranger "Wait here. I know the Pope but I have to clear you first." The stranger waits a few minutes. All of a sudden a door opens on a small balcony and the Pope steps out with Herbert. The crowd goes wild-- cheering and screaming . The stranger asks the cheering fellow next to him, not knowing anything about the Pope, "Who is that fellow on the balconey?" The fellow replies "I don't know the guy with the fancy robes and the funny hat , but the fellow with him is Herbert Boudreaux!"