Eye - tal -yen tonight | SouthernPaddler.com

Eye - tal -yen tonight

JEM

I have my grandma's KitchenAid Mixture that she bought years ago before she passed. I think it's about 15 years old.

Anyway, I bought the meat grinder attachment.

So spaghetti and meatballs were in order. I used this recipe for the gravy:

http://www.chow.com/recipes/10955 I deviated by "grinding" the onion and garlic. Worked pretty good. My kids usually turn their noses up at Ragu (in the jar) sauce but they really like this one. I put a few carrots in the gravy as it cooked to knock out some of the acidity. A little sugar was put in to taste as well.

I used the meatball recipe here: http://www.californialivingtv.com/grandma_rose.html The soaking of bread in milk didn't do it for me. So instead, I put a full sleeve of saltines in a gallon zip-lock and crushed them. Also used a little W sauce.

Grinding up the 3 meats really made a difference. I used 1 pound of each and was worried I made too much. But everyone was picking so I ended up having just enough.

Took a while to cook but it was worth it. I might get the pasta attachment and try my hand at a fully from-scratch meal. But I guess I'll need fresh tomatoes to do that. Maybe next summer.

islandpiper

matt, you said "I have my grandma's KitchenAid Mixture that she bought years ago before she passed. I think it's about 15 years old. " I have an older MIXER and it works like a top. I try not to keep a MIXTURE that long unless it is frozen really well.

piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Like grandma rose, I also never wear nail polish when I cook. Brings out my masculine side. (strong, manly swish here)

I like to use ground turkey for meatballs, meatloaf, and stuffed peppers or stuffed cabbage. Just a preference. It takes a LOT of spice with this bland meat.

Garlic, oregano, and basil are a tomato's best friends. Mine too.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The secret to good cooking is to never tell anyone how you cooked there meal. Just let them enjoy it.

That is what I did to the wife ( my date , back then before we got hitched ).

As some of you know .... From past posts on here. :lol:

I had my Date / future bride over one night at my parents house for supper. We had some great chow , some finger snacks as long and the same size as a #2 wood pencil. Both in length and width. They were really sweet and yummy but quite chewy , the more you chewed on them the better they were .... something like Jerky , more bang for your buck or effort , dam good. :D

Then for supper we had chicken legs with really small bones in them , along with some side dishes.

My wife ( which she became later down the road ) wanted to know what we ate and I told her I would tell her on the date from the next one.... Two weeks later I told her that the sweet sticks was Rattle Snake fillets and the chicken drum sticks with the small bones were Bull Frog Legs. She turned as green as you could imagine.
The dam fool still married me and that was about 45 years ago. :oops: Now days she does not ask me what I'm cooking , just comes back for seconds. If it tastes good , then enjoy it. :lol:

Chuck.