"Faith is coming along nicely | SouthernPaddler.com

"Faith is coming along nicely

School is out in like 4 days, "Faith" is comeing along nicely and is ready to come home where she can be worked on whenever I want, or have the time too that is. Here are some pics...

normal_IMG_3946s.jpg

normal_IMG_3940s%7E0.jpg

IMG_3941s.jpg

and here is the link to the complete gallery of the construction of her so far includeing some new pictures...

http://forums.bateau2.com/gallery/thumb ... =56&page=1

its getting there :roll:

A

Anonymous

Friend Justin,

Ya done good. Real good. I sho hope ya dont put no paint on it. Stain mebbe, but no paint. Some trees worked mitey hard ta make them purty swirls 'n knot holes.

Now ya'll tell me agin how ya kin git by without no thwarts?

yer admirin' pal,

bearridge

Sadly, I went with cheap ply and there are a lot of places were there is filler and other stiff that doesnt look good at all. Far away the wood looks great, but up close it looks awful, should have listened to everyone who told me to go with good ply. I really love the wood look, but not this boat, she will be green, to make up for it she will have a lot of brightwork done to her, rubrails, bresthooks, bottome runner, seats (from undle Johns) and I am installing runners for the seats to go on that will be bright as well. I am sad about painting her, but it will look nicer, and hide all the imperfections from my first boat, next wood canoe will be wood finished (but I am painting the yak that matt is designing) Figured I would hear about it from you guys. :wink:

The plans dont call for thwarts, and many of these have been built so they are not going in. At first I was going to add one, but that would screw up my idea to be able to set one of the seats in the middle to make it a solo paddler. The rubrails will stiffen her up a lot, as will the bresthooks. I am not worried about it the bottom will be stiffened by the seat runners (consisting of one that goes the full lenght of the bottom long ways, and three that go cross ways were the seats will be located, these will keep the seats in place) and the bottom runner. And the sides are glassed to the bottom.

There are a lot of things left that will add a lot of stregth to her, and I cant believe how strong it is already. We had a picture of me sitting in it pretending to paddle it, while it was up on the saw horses. The sides flex a bit when she is moved but I have heard no cracking or seen any sine of breaking. "She'll hold Gentlemen, she'll hold" -U571

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Justin

Looking at that smile on your face I would say you have paddled her a lot of miles and she has not even gotten wet yet.

The fun of making your own boat ... the anticipation and pride will make the 1st time on the water something you will not forget..... You are doing a great job. Will be looking forward to the water test in a few weeks or sooner.

Make sure we have some more of those good pictures when you take her out. :D
Chuck.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Justin ya haz got a fine lookin craft thar!
Did ya know you can make up a batch of clear epoxy and hardner to put into those knot holes? You'd have to place the boat on its side to accomplish it, but that may very well answer your need to keep it more "natural"...
A wee bit of flour would give it a brown tint....
The flow of the grain adds to rather than takes away from...

See? Yer turning into an old geezer already! Yer doin what ya wanna do! Dern what others say! Be yer own man!

Question: When the boat is laying belly side up, on the horses, does all sides touch the horses?

Don't confuse frames with thwarts... you'd still have the room to lay in another plywood board for the mid seat.

All in all, you've got a boat to be proud of... and we too are proud of your work!

swampy

A

Anonymous

Swampy said:
Question: When the boat is laying belly side up, on the horses, does all sides touch the horses?

normal_IMG_3932.jpg

Jack, if you are talking about when it sits like this, then yes it sits on the horses in four different places, both sides on each saw horse

A

Anonymous

You got a lot to learn there yngun.

That shop is waaaay too clean. :wink:

Great job. Have fun

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Good job Justin! If it sits on all sides you have a "squared" boat. Not using thwarts or frames you have accomplished a great feat in keeping it straight.
Man oh man, you do have a clean shop! One day I'm gonna clean mine out... but I don't know where I'd put everything! :shock:

How high is the sides? Look to be in the 11"-12" range.
You'll be able to carry a lot of camping gear on the rivers. Make sure you paddle with a dry load, well covered. Then you'll accomplish the ultamate challenge.
May I suggest that you bond in somesort of "lugs" of 3/4" wood with small holes in them to place along the gunnel line to use as tie downs for gear and such? There are also small, plastic tie down rings you can epoxy along the bottom sides to secure loads. In fact, without a gunnel, the bottom rings would work better. Tieing down along the sides would place a lot of tension along the sides and collapse the hull eventually. Think stress and undo tourque.

Chuck used a die in his glass and the green color looks transparent and very nice. Get with him on how he did it.
Again, a beauty of a boat!
swampy

JEM

Excellent point Swamp. You could also laminate some sort of d-rings on the bottom. Mount them as close to the sides as possible so they don't get in the way of your chair.

If you really want to make her a custom camping cruiser, install some padeyes on the outside a few inches down from the sheer line. Then you could make your self a poor-man's spray skirt. Which is just a tarp with some bungy cord. Use it to cover your gear or legs to shed paddling drippings. Especially helpful when paddling up in the WI waters during the not-so-warm days.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, and the frost bite! :shock: :D

I'm sure Jumpin Jack will concur.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
OK ... What is it with that work shop ... it is WAY to CLEAN , if there isn't at lease two feet of junk on the floor and anything to trip the builder as he moves around and every inch of wall space taken up with something hanging there ................then something is wrong. :?

Darn the floor even looked like it has been polished. I think the floor is still in mine and one of these days when I clean the shop up I will find out. :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Right purty boat. The gize is right though, twarnt bilt in that shop, floors way too clean.

Lernt ta spot them things on the TV detectin' skool.

Coulda been them Alien fellers cleaned up after?

The Fluffy(and Messy) ole Man of Saginaw Bay

JEM said:
If you really want to make her a custom camping cruiser, install some padeyes on the outside a few inches down from the sheer line. Then you could make your self a poor-man's spray skirt. Which is just a tarp with some bungy cord. Use it to cover your gear or legs to shed paddling drippings. Especially helpful when paddling up in the WI waters during the not-so-warm days.
I plan on building some form of spray skirt, actualy I planed on useing snaps, and some canvas, the only thing I am haveing problems with is the fact that I cant figure out how to do it so that I can use it both solo and with me and my little bro in it. Might have to make two skirts :lol:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
despotic931 said:
(SNIP) I plan on building some form of spray skirt, actualy I planed on useing snaps, and some canvas, the only thing I am haveing problems with is the fact that I cant figure out how to do it so that I can use it both solo and with me and my little bro in it. Might have to make two skirts :lol:
Justin,

I suggest you buy or borrow from your library, "Expedition Canoeing" by Cliff Jacobson, 3rd edtition. He has a chapter (starting pn page# 67) about how to design, construct, and use spray covers for canoes.

Kayak Jack said:
despotic931 said:
(SNIP) I plan on building some form of spray skirt, actualy I planed on useing snaps, and some canvas, the only thing I am haveing problems with is the fact that I cant figure out how to do it so that I can use it both solo and with me and my little bro in it. Might have to make two skirts :lol:
Justin,

I suggest you buy or borrow from your library, "Expedition Canoeing" by Cliff Jacobson, 3rd edtition. He has a chapter (starting pn page# 67) about how to design, construct, and use spray covers for canoes.

Thanks for the tip :wink: