Family Food Tradtions | SouthernPaddler.com

Family Food Tradtions

A

Anonymous

Every other weekend after Christmas, the 'Ol Timers(Friends and relatives) would take turns having a Bagna Caulda Party at a different house. Nothing else to do on a Saturday evening in the winter and deer season was over. Gallons of beer and home made wine consumed as well.
Play cards and an Italian game throwing out different numbers of fingers and hollering that number in Italian. Mike, you have already posted the recipe, only we used a hell of alot of garlic/butter/olive oil, no cream.
Dipped raw cabbage and celery in that dip all night long. I guess the anchovys made the 'Ol timers drink so much beer and wine.

And of course the other great memory was the Feast of the Seven Fishes on Christmas Eve.

PS: You we're talking about wine making in the other post. Yep, been there and done that, a boxcar of grapes from Californy every fall. I still have grandpaps wine press in the cellar, guess'n close to a hundred years old now. I was the grape monkey, carrying the grapes to the press for squeez'n. The old man used to make these little benches from the wood cases the grapes came in and I still have one of those......Shame on you Mike, you brought a tear to my eye think'n about those 'Ol timers and great memories...........Thanks Buddy! :)

A

Anonymous

Gett'n to be an 'Ol Timer myself Kahuna, I forgot to log in for the above post......... :roll: 'Ol forgetful Yak

Boy that Moonshine Grape Juice Wine is powerful :?

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Oldyaker???

Oldyaker is this you??? Kahuna
Anonymous said:
Every other weekend after Christmas, the 'Ol Timers(Friends and relatives) would take turns having a Bagna Caulda Party at a different house. Nothing else to do on a Saturday evening in the winter and deer season was over. Gallons of beer and home made wine consumed as well.
Play cards and an Italian game throwing out different numbers of fingers and hollering that number in Italian. Mike, you have already posted the recipe, only we used a hell of alot of garlic/butter/olive oil, no cream.
Dipped raw cabbage and celery in that dip all night long. I guess the anchovys made the 'Ol timers drink so much beer and wine.

And of course the other great memory was the Feast of the Seven Fishes on Christmas Eve.

PS: You we're talking about wine making in the other post. Yep, been there and done that, a boxcar of grapes from Californy every fall. I still have grandpaps wine press in the cellar, guess'n close to a hundred years old now. I was the grape monkey, carrying the grapes to the press for squeez'n. The old man used to make these little benches from the wood cases the grapes came in and I still have one of those......Shame on you Mike, you brought a tear to my eye think'n about those 'Ol timers and great memories...........Thanks Buddy! :)

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
YEs...

I called my father after I read your reply. He related the same stories you told.Bagna Cauda get togethers..everything...down to the benches the men made from the grape crates. If you would every like to write my dad he's e glad to hear from you. Kahuna
Anonymous said:

A

Anonymous

Mike, if you would like me to write your Dad just to let him smile over the 'ol days, just e-mail me his address, be my pleasure to do so for you good buddy!-------------Yak

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Correct Address??

Did you get my dads correct address?? KAHUNA
old yaker said:
Mike, if you would like me to write your Dad just to let him smile over the 'ol days, just e-mail me his address, be my pleasure to do so for you good buddy!-------------Yak

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Re: Correct Address??

Kahuna said:
Did you get my dads correct address?? KAHUNA
old yaker said:

Yes I did Mike, and after he gets my letter next week, don't be surprised when you go over to his house if we're hav'n a Bagna Caulda party together!!!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Pfeffer Neisse (Feffer Ness) for me. :D

Something my Grandmother (German) would make every Christmas and then My Mother and now myself.

Now days the daughters make a batch every year for the holidays, a family tradition on the holidays for only 4 generations that I know of. :D
Could be more then just 4 generations since my Grandmother probably got the recipe from her Mother.

PFEFFER NEISSE

3 ¾ cups flour (sifted) 2 ¼ cups sugar 4 eggs
2oz. Candied Lemon peel 1 Teaspoon Nutmeg 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Cloves 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder.

All Spices are the Ground type and the Lemon Peel is chopped fine ,( when you get it , The Lemon Peel,) cut it again .

Combine the Sugar. Lemon Peel and Spices in a bowl , add eggs and beat or mix it together , add Baking Powder , mix again. Now add the Flour slowly a little at a time and mix until all the flour is in the batter. ( As you add the Flour to the mix it will get increasingly harder to mix , do not give up it will all mix together and you will have a dry dough.( Sometimes you might want to use your hands instead of a spatula.)

Take a little Flour and put this on your work table . This will help you role out the dough which will be cut into pieces and than rolled into balls to be placed on a cookie sheet. #1(You can role the dough out until it is about ¾ inch thick and what ever length that you want , than cut it into ½ inch pieces and role these into balls.#1) The larger the balls of dough the larger the cookie and the best ones are smaller , when cooked they should fit in a spoon just in case you want to drop them into a cup of hot coffee to soften them up, these cookies will get very hard as time goes by so do not make them any larger than the size of a quarter, when cooked. #1( HINT a little flour on your hands will help in this step.)

Pre heat the oven to 325 degrees , place the cookies on a baking pan that has been lightly greased and cook for 12 to 15 minutes than take the cookies and using a spatula place them on a cut brown paper bag to cool.

When the Cookies have cooled they can be put in plastic bag or cookie tins and they will last for years . When Camping , Hiking or Canoeing / Kayaking these cookies are great snack and energy builders and just real good.

********* When measuring out the flour sift it into the measuring cup , if you don't you will have to much flour and the mix will be to dry.

ENJOY

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
No Cream...

My Dad said they never used cream either. I kinda like it. I use Pet Evaporated milk...Mike, you have already posted the recipe, only we used a hell of alot of garlic/butter/olive oil, no cream.