Festus | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Festus

A

Anonymous

Friend doug,

It iz the Kayak Jack influence, I learnt ta never let the truth git in the way of a tale. :mrgreen:

regards,

bearridge
bodine literary society

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.
Mark Twain

A

Anonymous

Chester Goode

As Mr Kayak mentioned, there was something fishey about Chesters limp and him gettin' suddenly cured when he got promoted to Marshall McCloud.
Maybe his dungarees had too much starch in that leg.
"Just starch up the one leg Please, Mrs. Yee. I can't hardly walk in these pants when you starch both of them like that."
How'd he ride a horse with that leg? Thing would be catchin' on all the rocks and branches.
Or, how about this?: He hardly ever carried his six shooter, right? Where you could see it anyway. Maybe he wore his gunbelt UNDER his pants? Sneaky.
Festus Haggen, on the other hand, he was bowlegged. And carried his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see...( I didn't make up that last line. That was Townes van Zant)

A

Anonymous

Fellas,

All tales dont have a good end. Miz Bear jest asked if mebbe Festus had growd a new leg 'n we jest caint pick him out no more. We aint seen him fer 8 days. I sez "yes dear" like I always do.

The birds been singin' up a storm all week....jest like in Song of the South. Three mockingbirds claimed parts of the yard. Robins started singin'. Ruby Crowned Kinglet iz flittin' round. Goldfinches everwhere. Wrens. White throated sparrows.

A baby goldfinch fell asleep in the feeder. Goldfinches let us walk rite up next ta 'em. Starlings babies been comin' inta the yard. Lotta grackles too. I sho wish the house finches 'n house sparrows would find anuther house. I got anuther wish fer the starlings and grackles. :roll:

Brier Cooper the hawk flies thru ever now 'n then, but it must be more fun ta grab a baby field mouse outside town than fly inside lookin' fer fast food.

A pine warbler showed up a few days ago. All the birds figger it iz spring. I like ta watch the geese 'n ducks head north. Baby birds are everwhere.

I jest remembered this weekend wuz the Backyard Birdcount. When I wuz younger I didnt fergit stuff like that. :cry: On the other hand, last time I turned my list in, they figgered I didnt know what I wuz talkin' bout....even after I tole 'em how many bird books I had.

They had ta send two guviment boys down in a guviment green pickup ta see I wuz rite. I shoulda asked them Cornell college folks if they wanted ta make a small wager. :mrgreen:

regards,

bearridge
bodine bird society

I’ll say a word, jest a word. This was a good brave boy, he had a fine tenor voice and we’ll all miss him. There’s accidents in life and he met with a bad one. Now we may all do the same if we aint careful. Dust to dust. Now let’s the rest of us go on to Montana.
Gus McCrae

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

I jest come in frum the west forty. Mother Robin iz out there in her nest.....keepin' the heat of her eggs. She been settin' on them eggs fer near bout three weeks. This mornin' Miz Bear tole her to give it up.....save herownself. We figger the eggs hard boiled in the 99 degree heat. Miz Bear felt so bad fer Mother Robin that she would put the sprinkler on the leaves above her....so the water would trickle down 'n cool her off.

This mornin' I ambled over ta the nest, but Mother Robin wuz gone. Lo 'n behold a ugly little baby robin wuz lookin' round like Steve Wonder....head rollin' round like it had come loose at the neck. I tole Miz Bear.

A few minutes ago we went out ta check on the mother 'n babies. I moved in close 'n it looked like more'n one ugly baby robin, but Mother Robin commenced ta howlin' like banshee. I left. Miz Bear waited a while 'n moved in. She reached her hand out ta pet Mother Robin's beak (like she done a few days back), but she opened up her beak like she wuz hongry 'er thirsty.

Miz Bear had put a bowl of water under the crepe myrtle tree where Mother Robin made her nest. There wuz a leaf in it. She got the leaf, made a cup 'n held it out ta Mother Robin. She opened up her beak 'n drank frum the leaf.

I didnt see none of that. Miz Bear went inside 'n come out on the south forty, binoculars in hand....sez I gotta see it 'er I wont believe it. Well, we went ta the nest, but I held back. Sho nuff.....Mother Robin wuz still thirsty. Miz Bear give her bout 15 leaf fulls of water. I watched the whole thing.

If Ole Marlin Perkins wuz alive today....he would be filled up with envy. :lol:

regards
bearridge

Giraffiti: Vandalism spray-painted very, very high.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Well, Miz Bear 'n the birds been gittin' ta know each other better. Momma robin finally let her feed the baby birds water frum a leaf. Az time went by she begun ta feed Momma worms....on a plate near the tree...so she kin give 'em ta the babies. It haz all been like yer own animal planet show, but it took a sad turn this afternoon.

Miz Bear wuz gone most of the afternoon. When she come in, she went out ta the nest, but come back with tears....no birds, but she figgered something dead wuz in the nest. It wuz one of the two babies....no sign of Momma 'er the other baby. We looked all over. She went down in the mouth til she come in ta the kitchen ta grab some fried rice. "Hot dang" she sez....."there iz Momma 'n the baby".

They wuz hoppin' round jest outside the kitchen window. Miz Bear run out ta look, but they hid under some shrubs. There are two 'er three cats [deleted]

regards
bearridge

The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts. Bertrand Russell

Zeb

Dec 18, 2006
Co.Durham England
Fancy cat skin paddlin hat?

theres been a blackbird busy in my garden this week :D

DSCI0087.jpg

all the best zeb