filet video? | SouthernPaddler.com

filet video?

Wimperdink

Feb 21, 2007
East TN in the Smokies
Anyone have or know of any good instructional videos on the art of fileting? Not filleting fish but the boat building filets. It seems I have a fair bit of trouble with it and just curious to see how other people do it. I figure I must be missing something important.

When I do it, I end up with pretty filets but it takes a great deal of effort. I'm cramming dookie schmootz into the corners I want to filet and running my rounded object in the corners to smooth it into a nice rounded surface. I get a lot of boogers that come out the side or run out of material and have to return to fill in. how do you folks get your material evenly into the angle so it spreads smoothly?

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Wimper,

That [for me] was touchy feeley thing. The D/smuts must be just the right consistancy. It needs to flow without "chunks" but also needs to be thick enough not to puddle.

About the only thing I can say is trial and error.

Good luck

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
WD,

My fillets look like my 2nd grade art drawings - and they SUCKED! (I did well at sandbox, though.)

My next boat will have masking tape along both sides of the fillet area. They goopy will be the consistency of thick ketchup for flat areas, and thicker for sloping areas. (It's easier for me to thicken epoxy a bit more than it is to tip the boat up on end so all the fillet area is flat.)

The tape has to be removed before the epoxy sets up too hard. Otherwise it becomes a permanent part of the boat.

Plastic spoons are handy for filleting.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
I followed all the advice from those that went before me and had good results. I would definitly use the masking tape. I saw Mick using a plastic zip lock in one of his posts to pipe out the schmootz and that also worked well. I also mixed the schmootz very well so the dookie clods would be minimized. Also did one section at a time.
I like the video Idea. Maybe if we ask real nice, :D we could get Mick or one of the Geezers to post a short video clip of doing fillets.

nobucks

I use tape to mark the area and keep stuff clean as well, as I'm one of the world's messiest people.

If you're going to put fiberglass over the fillets, lay the glass tape down over the fillet right after you put the fillet in, before the epoxy cures. It takes some pre-planning and coordination, but it saves a lot of time sanding, and the glass makes good contact with the fillet with no voids.

Wimperdink

Feb 21, 2007
East TN in the Smokies
{Mick & I will do "Filleting in the Nude - an anxious adventure"} Jack i'm seriously worried about you.
icon_happy.gif

Good tips folks, I appreciate. Tape and squeezing it out the corner of a plastic baggy should help tremendously. I have the most trouble getting it stuffed into the cornor equally so that should help a lot

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Hey Chuck, That could be a whole new section here! Post your video clips or links to them on constrution and paddling." just doin sum thinin around here babalouy" :p

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Speaking of mixing in, and squeezing from a large Ziploc bag - that works for Bisquick-based pancake/dumplings/biscuit mixing & pouring too.

Put the Bisquick in a bag, add a paper telling how much of what to add. In camp, add the fixin's (powdered milk, water, powdered eggs, etc.) Squeeze thoroughly to mix, set upside down, nip a corner, schploop some into a hot, greased, frying pan.

Plop on blueberries, walnuts, hickory nuts, etc., cook until can be turned, flip & count to 15, and plop it onto a plate. Splash on some REAL maple syrup.

JARVIS good eatin'!

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Oh dear,

Where is this thread heading? :lol:

I was a little confused by the peanut butter consistency analogy in Matts Tips and tricks. ie is it peanut butterout of the fridge or at room temps? :oops:

No I aply a similar theory o that of mixing concrete. real thick with very little to no sag for the vertical areas and a little thinner for the flats.

The thinner it is, (within reason) the easier it is to smooth out but the more transparent it becomes.

To avoid the lumps in the mix, I add a little wood flour at a time and mix in well adding more only when the previous lot has been well and truly blended. Once getting close to the reuired consistence, it takes very little woodflour to make a heck of a difference.

islandpiper

make our filleting material like thin peanut butter, not applesauce......use a cheap stainless steel spoon for a fillet shaper....easy as pie.

I've never used the masting tape thing because I thought it would leave a little lip at each edge of the fillet.....with my spoon it just tapers out to nothing at both edges.

I've used the GLASS TAPE ON FRESH FILLETS method but there are too many things happening at one time then, at least for me.

Cheer , Piper

Wimperdink

Feb 21, 2007
East TN in the Smokies
thanks for the input fellas... I will do the tape thing... and the ziplock bag trick as well.... I've always used a large washer to make my filets because I like larger curves. bigger curves always win over small curves. :lol:

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Mick, that should be peanut butter at standard temperature and pressure. 70 degrees Farenheit and 14.7 pounds per square inch. You will want to convert to Celcius and kilograms per square meter. :lol:
100 degrees F makes for puddles of peanut butter. :lol: