Finally getting started | SouthernPaddler.com

Finally getting started

Apr 20, 2008
Florida Panhandle
OK...I've finally gotten started on my UJ Pirogue. Got the sides cut today and got it ready to sand the Scraf Joints...Funny how you can never find your tools when you need them. I can't find my sander anywhere. I got 50 grit sand paper and no sander. I may just have to buy an new one (if I can hide it from the wife... :? ). I'll post some pics when I start to put it together. Do you glass the joints before or after you piece the boat together?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The joints are epoxied or glued together , then glassed on both sides after that sets up. I'm not sure if you would need the fiberglass over a good scarf joint since it is alread epoxied together. It would be extra protection if you did fiberglass it.
( I prefer to use epoxy as the glue.)

Butt joints are butted together .... then epoxied and a piece of fiberglass is layed over them and epoxied (wet in to become a part of that joint).

Next step .... It is covered with some plastic ( You should already have some plastic under it ) then something over the plastic to distribute the weight with a light weight on it to hold it down while the epoxy cures.

NOTE.....If you don't have the plastic under and over the joint then any excess epoxy will make your boards a permanent part of your work table and what ever is covering it.

Chuck.

Apr 20, 2008
Florida Panhandle
I'm using Scraf joints, so I'd put the boat together and then do the glass work. Got the new sander today (wife is none the wiser ,yet... :? )and will be gluing the joints together tomorrow. Updates to follow.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
BWJohn,

Here's a trick I read once from a guy who was riding a brand new motorcycle in rough neighborhoods, and he didn't want it to look too attractive. He covered it all over with olive drab (OD) duct tape, then rubbed dry dirt all over the tape. Was really new, but looked real scrungy.

Apr 20, 2008
Florida Panhandle
Too late...She's already seen it...I guess the skin will eventually grow back on my ***... :? ...I tried to tell her that the cost would be lessened after the third or fourth boat... :wink:

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Mate, sounds like itsa bit too late now but you shoulda used the standard shopping secret women have used for years. They buy clothes, jewellery, applinances etc. and in the unlikely event that you'd ever notice they are ready with.
"Oh that old thing I've had it for ages got it in the sales last January at half price. Then they follow up with " Just shows how much notice you take of things around here".
Only when men are prepared, and I mean PREPARED to be as devious as women will we ever gain true equality.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
john the pom said:
Mate, sounds like itsa bit too late now but you shoulda used the standard shopping secret women have used for years. They buy clothes, jewellery, applinances etc. and in the unlikely event that you'd ever notice they are ready with.
"Oh that old thing I've had it for ages got it in the sales last January at half price. Then they follow up with " Just shows how much notice you take of things around here".
Only when men are prepared, and I mean PREPARED to be as devious as women will we ever gain true equality.

John, you have given me a new hope for change. (Even better than Braccck Osama.)

RCE

Jul 1, 2008
I am a new future boat builder as well. I understand the butt joints on the sides of the boat; however, do you join the bottom before it is epoxied to the sides or afterwards? I cannot imaging trying to turn the piece of wood for the bottom over in order to fillet (?) both sides of the seam, I also cannot imagine trying to get a good butt joint after they've been all glued together.

My first build is a JT pirogue.

Rick

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I join the sides together to form one solid chunk or side piece. When done ...assemble them with the end pieces (bow and stern) , then the ribs in the top section , now for the bottom. The bottom of the ribs are flush with the two side panels so they fit the bottom of the boat.

Next step is the outside rail before you try moving the boat , without the outside rail then the sides might buckle (when you move it ) and break the ribs on the boat.

Now attach the bottom . the sides might have a slight wave in them but the inside rail will get rid of that , when you attach it.

One easy way to do it .... When you have the sides done , then place the boat on the bottom and CAREFULLY .... mark the outline of it on the bottom piece without moving the sides. Use a pencil , lead one not ink.... :roll:
Now draw a line about two inches out from that and use that line to cut out the bottom chunk to fit the boat.

Attach it the the sides and when cured then carefully saw off the excess wood to form the bottom to the sides. :D

Chuck.