Finaly made a start | SouthernPaddler.com

Finaly made a start

wildbill

Apr 5, 2007
shoreham by sea, UK
I think the hardest thing about this boat building lark is actualy starting.

I had some nice looking ply delivered on saturday, and I spent most of the weekend just staring at it.

Today I plucked up the courage to start, and I've been at it all day.
Now I just have to figure out how it all goes together.

That should be even more fun.

boat002.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I stuttered and stymied a few months on my first boat. Considered sending the whole thing to someone to assemble, and go pick it up. From Michigan to the Carolinas! Desperate.

You start with large pieces of plywood, cut them into small pieces, then glue them back together again into large pieces, and end up with one large piece and some scrap. Helluva transformation!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
When you make that 1st cut into the wood ... you are on your way to lots of fun , a little cussing and a small bit of worry but it all works out.

While putting the boat together ......Just remember that old song about the bones ..... the knee bone is attached to the leg bone , the leg bone is attached to the hip bone , the hip bone is attached to the elbow ...."O"oooop's that is only when you are on the computer.

We better stay with the bottom is attached to the sides. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Good start. Just be careful putting the pieces together. I know one anonymous type on this forum who epoxied the aft starboard bottom plank to the port forward bottom plank and vice versa. The hull stitched together funny. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: No, I will not post a picture. :oops: :twisted:

wildbill

Apr 5, 2007
shoreham by sea, UK
After a good start, getting the bottom and 2 sides together it started raining. That was 2 weeks ago, today it stopped and the sun is shining but when i took the covers of to continue working the whole thing was soaked.

The canoe is bigger than my workshop, so once i started i had to stay outside.

My question is, will these stains go away, or will I have to paint everything when I finish?

stains.jpg

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
DANG!
Bill,
I guess those stains will stay in ply so it's either a case of painting or possibly using a dark coloured Ronseal-type varnish later on.

Hasn't it rained though! Nothing for a month and then it won't stop.

wildbill

Apr 5, 2007
shoreham by sea, UK
As I suspected. never mind I think theres a tin of sparkley pink paint in the shed that was left over from my daughters bedroom, that shoul do the job :D

I've left it all out in the sun today to dry the ply out.

Tomorrow it's hunting in the morning, and boat building in the afternoon, bet it rains again.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
A water base stain might help to camouflage those water stains if the wood is not delaminating on you.

Talking about painting a boat..............

Matt was ready to kill me when I sent him this picture of the Freedom before he put the plans on the market. I told him I wanted people to see it and never to trust a nut with photo shop.

I did leave it the natural wood.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

freedom-064.jpg

Chuck.

Zeb

Dec 18, 2006
Co.Durham England
Hi Bill
Hope She dries out for you,I havent been so lucky,im affraid the rain penetrated my tarp and ply which has delaminated :cry: (the side boards are o.k.) I bought another sheet of ply on Friday to redo the bottom panels,The rain has stopped here where i live but now the wind is blowing like crazy :evil:
all the best zeb
P.S. what sort of hunting?

wildbill

Apr 5, 2007
shoreham by sea, UK
Hi Zeb,

Tomorrow I'll be mostly shooting wabbits, the local golf course is infested with the little bu**ers, hopefuly the odd squirrel and woody too.

Sorry to hear that your ply delaminated, mine was so cheap that I'm suprised i got away with it

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Searching the web I found this ........... It has nothing to do with boats but it makes , making boats a lot more fun because then you can use them to get what is needed for this meal.
I had a little Beagle (Pete) a long time ago that loved being in a boat and loved chasing these critters a lot more , he did not fuss when it came to supper time with them as the guest of honor on the plate. As long as he had some in his dish.

~ 1 rabbit, cut into serving pieces
~ 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
~ 1/2 tsp salt
~ 1/8 tsp black pepper
~ 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
~ vegetable oil for frying
~ 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
~ 1 1/2 cup milk or chicken broth
~ salt and pepper
~ brown bouquet sauce

1...In large plastic food-storage bag, combine 1/3 cup flour, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Shake to mix.
2....Add rabbit pieces. Shake to coat.
3....In large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil over medium-high heat until hot.
Add coated meat and brown on all sides.

4....Reduce heat and cover tightly. Cook over very low heat until tender, about 20-25 minutes. Turn pieces once.
5....Remove cover and cook 5 minutes longer to crisp.
6....Transfer meat to plate lined with paper towels and set aside to keep warm.
7....Discard all but 3 tablespoons of the oil.
8....Over medium heat, stir 3 tbsp flour into reserved oil. Blend in milk or broth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly. Add salt, pepper and brown bouquet sauce to taste.

Serve and Enjoy!
I do about the same as in 1,2 and 3 steps above.... but I de-bone the meat and when it is browned I remove some of the oil and add onions , mushed or smashed tomatoes (caned ones will work) , bell pepper chunks , celery , garlic and some water or wine , let that simmer for a while so it turns into a gravy.

Then have a good meal. Serve it over a big plate of rice (Swamp Seed as we call it)

Chuck.
PS... The Cajuns and some crackers / old time southeners (myself included) call the wrabbits ... Swamp Chicken , the kids loved swamp chicken till they found out it was Bug's Bunny. :roll: ( some day I will have to tell you about the meal I cooked for the wife when we were dating back in the dark ages and the dang fool still married me. Plus she lets me do all the cooking , as long as she knows what I am cooking. ) :lol:

wildbill

Apr 5, 2007
shoreham by sea, UK
The weather finaly got dry, so I could carry on.

I'm now convinced of a few things.

1 It's gonna look like shite when its done.

2 I dont care cos' it will float and be a lot of fun this summer.

3 I WILL build a bigger workshop, so the next one can be done properly.

boat003.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend wildbill,

Looks good ta me. I am lookin' ta the day ya post a pichur of it on the water.....river, lake, channel? :wink:

regards
bearridge

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. Bill Watterson