1. The forums software has been upgraded and we are still sorting out its quirks.
    Please relay any problems you encounter. Thanks for your patience!
    Dismiss Notice

Finding wood

Discussion in 'Making your Own paddles' started by LSUh20fowler, Sep 21, 2013.

1. LSUh20fowler

LSUh20fowler Member

Where do ya'll get wood from used to make your paddles ? I'm wanting to make a kayak paddle from cypress and do some art on it. I'm not wanting to buy a whole trailer full just looking for a few boards. Thanks

2. oldsparkey

oldsparkey Well-Known Member

You can find the wood just about anyplace. Sometimes if solid boards aren't located then strips of wood can be epoxied together to make a paddle. If everything fails then there are the box box home repair stores or wood supply places.

3. Kayak Jack

Kayak Jack Well-Known Member

A buddy up here kept asking around hardwares & barber shops. Found a couple of old staches of cedar (what he was seeking) in garages and barns. Fellas who had bought lumber 20-6-30 years before, didn't do the project, but hung on to the wood.

4. beekeeper

beekeeper Well-Known Member

5. LSUh20fowler

LSUh20fowler Member

Thanks beekeeper, thats not far from my house.

6. beekeeper

beekeeper Well-Known Member

http://www.thecypressdepot.com/

I bought a few boards there yesterday. Nice folks. Even added some lagniappe, because they didn't have the exact board I asked for.

beekeeper
    P.S. I know It is not Keith and seedtick quality cypress, but it is better lumber than you can get at the box stores.