finished Chemaunis canoe | SouthernPaddler.com

finished Chemaunis canoe

Kurt Loup

Sep 10, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
www.loup-garou.net
The first launch will be Saturday. I can't wait to try it out. The hull is cypress and western red cedar with ash gunwales, thwarts, seat, decks and bow and stern laminations. It came in at 37 lbs. I was shooting for 35 lbs. as the hull weighed 26.5 lbs.

Kurt

down-600x451.jpg

up-600x451.jpg

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Kurt,

That is one pretty boat. If she paddles half as good as she looks you are set for some fine trips.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Kurt,

Magnificent boat and workmanship mate, bloody well done. :D

That would have to be the prettiest stripper - no, I'll correct that. That IS the prettiest canoe I have ever seen.

I have a new scren saver. :D

Any chance of some detail shots of the tricky woodwork bits please.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Kurt,

What a fine lookin' boat!

regards
bearridge

English gentleman visiting Texas: Pardon me, but could you perhaps tell me where I might locate your master?
Cowboy: That sumbitch aint been born yet.

Kurt Loup

Sep 10, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
www.loup-garou.net
hairymick said:
Hi Kurt,

Magnificent boat and workmanship mate, bloody well done. :D

That would have to be the prettiest stripper - no, I'll correct that. That IS the prettiest canoe I have ever seen.

I have a new scren saver. :D

Thanks Mick. I will take a couple close ups.

Kurt

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
KURT , MAN THAT IS A PRETTY CANOE. DON,T WATCH OUT YOU,LL MAKE DEM GEEZERS JELOUS. YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO BE PROUD OF. (CATFISH)

Kurt Loup

Sep 10, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
www.loup-garou.net
hairymick said:

Mick,

Here are a couple detail shots. Included is the anchor lock system a friend of mine came up with. On my Merlin, I am using metal locks. They work better than the plastic ones. Unfotunately, I haven't been able to locate them online. I bought them from Bass Pro, but they no longer carry the metal version.

Kurt

seat_mounting-600x451.jpg

thwart_mounting-600x451.jpg

deck-451x600.jpg

side-600x451.jpg

anchor-600x451.jpg

bottom_of_anchor_lock-600x451.jpg

anchor_cleats-600x451.jpg

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Kurt Loup said:
laflyfisher said:
Hey Kurt! Are you going to bring that beautiful canoe to Red Stick Day? If so, you'd better keep an eye on it!

That will be the official launch. You'll have to take it for a spin.

What and when is Red Stick Day? I might make the ride to BR to see this boat. It's beautiful!

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Hi Kurt,

Did you cut those inner rails with a router yourself? I would guess that you did both at the same time with the inner faces together and then used a straight plunge cutter to cut both at the same time.

Was that how it was done?

Kurt Loup

Sep 10, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
www.loup-garou.net
stevesteve said:
Hi Kurt,

Did you cut those inner rails with a router yourself? I would guess that you did both at the same time with the inner faces together and then used a straight plunge cutter to cut both at the same time.

Was that how it was done?

Steve,

Here is a link with a few pictures of how I cut the scuppers http://www.loup-garou.net/random. I mark the location of the scuppers on the face of a board and use a guide bushing guided router to cut out the scuppers using a jig. Once the scuppers are cut, I add a fence to the bottom of a circular saw and rip off the gunwale. For the gunwale in the picture, I didn't have the room to rip the board on my tablesaw, hence the circular saw.

Kurt