first boat build | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

first boat build

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The graphite mix will add a lot of protection to the bottom , plus making is slippery in the water. Graphite is a lubricant you know.

I do mine with the epoxy & graphite and when one friend was paddling the pirogue , I told him to paddle threw the weeds ... All he could say is that the pirogue has 4 wheel drive. The weeds grab onto the unprotected glass and with the epoxy & graphite they don't.

Jack paddles his kayak in the rockey area where he lives and gets scratches but like he tells folks , without it .... there would be gouges in the bottom. Down here paddling mine it slips over the branches , downed trees and stumps , canoes paddling with me get hung up on them.

It won't bomb proof the bottom but it sure adds a lot of protection. I put on three light coats and then let it cure for a week or two , ready for the water. If you lightly sand it , it will become gray and even increase the slipping part since the outside coat of epoxy is removed.
It is quite messy and hard work doing that and everything will get black when sanding it. That is one reason I don't sand them anymore. :lol:

"O" ... Taking the canoe (1/8th wood and glass) down the Buffalo River and paddling more on rocks then water (white Water) for 4 days all I had were a few scratches. That includes landing at the shore on rocks.

Some other thoughts.....
The Coho I made has a Teflon paint on it but is is a deep water boat , does go darn fast.
One member was going to use aluminum powder but I never heard anything about it.. I think he could not get it because it can be turned into an explosive...Bomb.
The Air Boaters use an item called Steel Flex , it lets them run down a road with the air boat and not damaging the bottom. It is usually applied about 1/4inch thick.
One motor boat I had had a epoxy mix on the bottom that made it slip over anything and not damage the aluminum hull. Can't remember what it was called but was gray in color and put on the bottom of the boat around 1960 and is still there. A friend of mine has it now since I gave up the stink (Motor) boats.

Chuck.
PS. I thank my bottom for thinking of that seat , it sure got sore on regular seats. Now I have a happy bottom when paddling so the rest of me is happy. :lol: :lol: :lol: