First Bow Kill | SouthernPaddler.com

First Bow Kill

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
I have been shooting a bow for about 1.5 years now. With a lot of hints, tips and coaching from TxRiverRat (been shooting Bows for 30+ years) I have become pretty good with it. I have been looking forward to bow season for a couple of months and it finally opened Saturday. Iwent down to the property Friday about noon just to relax, have a beer and enjoy the piece and quiet.We always eat pretty good at camp and this weekend was no exception.

Friday nights meal.

firstbow001.jpg

Had the 4-wheeler loaded and ready to head out Saturday morning. It is about 1.25 miles to my stand from camp.

firstbow003.jpg

I saw a lot of young bucks and numerous doe Sat. morning, but did not take a shot because the Bucks I was seeing need another two years to reach their potential and I just enjoyed watching the Does.I hunted until about 10:00 and went in to grab a bite to eat and do a little work around camp then headed back out about 3:00. I saw numerous deer again during the afternoon and about 7:15 a lone mature Does appeared and I decided it was time to harvest my first deer with a bow. She stopped at 25 yards and i eased the bow up and took a shot. She dropped immediately. The arrow had penetrated through her shoulder and up into the spine breaking it. I had harvested a lot of deer in 30+ years of gun hunting, but this was as good as the first deer I shot as a kid.

firstbow010.jpg

firstbow011.jpg

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Congrats, Darrell. Good shot. Hard to put into words, but taking an animal with a well-placed arrow is a more "personal" experience between you and the animal. It just feels more like hunting.

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Darrell ,there is a real difference between taking a dear with a firearm and one with a bow. The bow just seams more natural and it is something you will remember all your life.
I got my 1st one with a bow in 1962 and remember every part of that hunt to this day. The ones taken with firearms were just harvesting deer compared to using a bow.
Bow's are like building wood boats , they become habit forming and a lot of fun. :D

Chuck.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
good looking doe darrell like they say it will look better on the grill. :wink: i believe you may have learned from one of the best. :lol:

darrell i have to say that meat already on the grill looks pretty good you better watch t rat . :lol: thanks for sharing