first buck of season | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

first buck of season

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Wanabee what makes you think we wouldn't tag them of course we did with OO buck. :roll: :lol: :mrgreen: . yea most times I did but cant say that about some of my comrads. :wink: :lol: yea after about 8 or 9 months you are ready for a fresh piece of venison. I couldn't wait the other day after we got those to fry up some. at our camp it didn,t matter what it was what ever stepped out 1st ? buck or doe either one was good to eat.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Venison is wayyyyyyyyyy better than lamb/mutton (only "difference" between lamb and mutton is, can a man break the foreleg bone with his bare hands. Which led me to believe that somewhere around every slaughterhouse lurked a fella with arms about 30" around.). And, venison matches pork, in my opinion, and is better than beef. Though, I do treasure the feel and flavor of good beef.

Ron, a few posts back, you mentioned that a young buck had to be 13" or more. Is that antlers, shoulders, or what? I couldn't follow or figure. Got my curiosity up. And then, how would a fella gauge any body measurement just before he shot? Some game laws just aren't real sensible.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Ky Jack I was going to tell you the other day that TRR ask the buck to stand there a minuet so he could measure there horns with a tape measure but I guess he explained? :roll: :lol: :mrgreen: yea I guess sometimes its hard to look and see if they are legal. guess this is why some one on a paid hunt if they don't kill the right one it cost a lot more that they though. :shock: :lol: