First canoe/Maiden voyage | SouthernPaddler.com

First canoe/Maiden voyage

JT

Dec 21, 2007
Denton, TX
Just about done--close enough to take on the water anyway...

IMG_2928Small.jpg

IMG_2929Small.jpg

Hopefully will soon post some shots of her getting wet this weekend...

JT

Dec 21, 2007
Denton, TX
luaun ply, ripped pine 2 x 6 for gunwales, 1" pine dowels for thwarts and spacers, glued up oak with pine strips for decks--all very cheap wood (except the oak) -- with apologies to Jack and a nod to Chuck...

6 oz glass and epoxy (350 hardener) from RAKA until I ran out--wasted a lot learning about epoxy!; then MAS epoxy from a local supplier.

My b-day's saturday, hopefully getting some gear from the wife and kids (and gear for the wife and kids)--so we'll all have paddles and pfds to wear...

I also need to get some kind of rack for the car top--might just do foam blocks for now--then yakima (thule doesn't fit my scion apparently)...

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks Jeremy,

I just took delivery of some Luaun 3.6mm from Aust Wood panels. They are no longer selling Aussie ply now that they have been taken over by a malaysian mob.

I ordered it mainly to use for temp frames and such (cheap as dirt) but it looks very similar to what is on your boat and I think is probably way better than the "blonde' ply I was getting earlier. My stuff is also a darker colour with an A finish on one side and a "C" finish on the other. The outside veneers also look to be thicker on it than was on my "blonde" stuff too 8)

Your boat has finished up beautifully mate. I have allways liked the lines of the Iroquois and Merrimac and your boat has done such a nice design justice. Well done mate. 8)

JT

Dec 21, 2007
Denton, TX
What a great day to stick a canoe on top of the car and head to the water!
IMG_2930Small.jpg

First, a solo test paddle...

IMG_2933Small.jpg

IMG_2934Small.jpg

Then, everyone's on board!

IMG_2938Small.jpg

My wife (working the camera) was there, too!

IMG_2947Small.jpg

Tor

JT,

Great work. It's so good when everyone finally finds out why you've been hiding on the shed over the last few months and they can enjoy it.

I like the breasthooks (the cut out bit just softens the edges) and those hammock seats are nice and simple, I shall steal that idea for a future paddle :D

Tor
PS what's next... :twisted:

JT

Dec 21, 2007
Denton, TX
Thanks. I can't remember who I stole the breasthook idea from--one of these posts (or on Matt's site) had something similar. Great place to borrow ideas! :idea: :!:

The hammock seat started as a portage device--easier on the back than a yoke--and it worked as a seat. A couple of dowels along the edge inside the seam will help...

Not quite to "geezerdom", but closer--maiden voyage coincided with my 39th b-day--one of the best yet! :p

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Jeremy,

Ya done good on that boat 'n with the kids, but that pichur takin' wife iz special. Az them downunder fellas sez "good on ya mate". :wink:

regards
bearridge

When ideas fail, words come in very handy. Goethe