first efforts at fly tying | SouthernPaddler.com

first efforts at fly tying

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I met Larry(laflyfisher) at the Ponchatoula Rendezvous and we talked fly fishing for a while. I started fly fishing when I was about 10 and kind of moved away from fishing in general the last few years. But Larry sparked my interest in fishing with the long pole again so I dusted off my 30 year old fly rod and had to do some figuring on what wt line to use and decided on 4 wt. weight forward floating line.

We recently had a Cabela's and a Bass Pro Shop open within 40 miles and I was walking around the fly fishing section and all the beautiful tying material caught my eye. Came home with a couple of packs of stuff and here are my first two efforts.

100_0249.jpg

100_0247.jpg

Disregard the wine bottle , it is for display purposes only. :wink:

PS: I can feel the fly tying addiction taking hold. Sighhhhhhhh....... Yet another hobby. :roll:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
jdupre' said:
I... PS: I can feel the fly tying addiction taking hold. Sighhhhhhhh....... Yet another hobby. :roll:
What we need, Joey, is a hobby that PAYS instead of costs. Were I a good looking gal, I could figure out the answer. For me, though, I can't figure the angle to one. sigh

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Jack, I have one hobby that ALMOST pays for my others- knifemaking. I also recently sold a few bows I had on hand for a good bit more than I had in them, soooooo , I guess I'm ahead, or so I tell my wife. :wink:

As far as your angle on the hobby that pays, I'll bet you look like a young buck to the "over 85" crowd. :wink: :lol:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
(Piper San standing with feet spread at shoulder width, fists on hips, scurly scowl frowns his always otherwise handsome features)

"Avast, you scoundrel! Stand ye back and molest not my dear friend and patron, Kayak Jack. Let all in the land know that I stand guard for this patriot!"

(Distant strumpets (should that be trumpets?) herald the approach of angels and fiery hosts from yon.)

"Even now, my armies approach. Off with you, coward and naughty man!"

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Kayak Jack said:
"Avast, you scoundrel! Stand ye back and molest not my dear friend and patron, Kayak Jack. Let all in the land know that I stand guard for this patriot!"

Me timbers are shiverin'! I must make fast the mains'l and make good my escape for Piper San is off my stern and has fire in his eyes!

(This stuff would be corny if it wasn't so much darn FUN!)

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Kayak Jack said:
I can just see you and Piper San standing in his front yard - laughing.

Me(not looking in Piper's direction) wispering--" Jack, psssst Jack , is Piper really laughing?" :wink:

The wife just looked over my shoulder and read a couple of these last posts. Her reaction was :roll: :roll: :roll: :?

Women---they just don't understand us.
:)

Joey

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Seeing Joey making handmade flies made me remember an ancient post aboutThe humdinger flies that Chuck made for Kahunas fly swap a long time ago. Seems like I remember Chuck giving instructions on how to tie it. Kept trying to do a search for it and would get about every post ever made on here. Would anybody remember where to locate those instructions. If you do I and probally a lot more of us new guys would appreciate it. I know how yall are so I'll tell ya right now that I can't afford to pay for the instructions, I just gave the Hospital all my money. :evil:
Bob

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Haven't put them in the water yet- maybe this weekend.

Oz, that is a little different type of fly tying- fer sure. But if y'all are interested, You Tube has a lot of fly tying( the fishing kind) videos.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Thanks Chuck,
If you dont mind I'll send your fee to Bear so he can buy gas to bring me my Budwiser. Your such a good sport. Come on over and have a Bud after Bear brings it. :lol:
Bob