First of many boat builds!! | SouthernPaddler.com

First of many boat builds!!

swampfox

Mar 17, 2011
Here is my first "practice" boat. It's the one sheet skiff. I built it for my future step son. While I do ok in it, because I'm used to riding in pirogues, it's a little to shaky for him. I will be making some outriggers for it.
I weight 230 and he weighs about 30lbs so 3" out the water for 9" sides is pretty good I think..
WP_000120.jpg
WP_000121.jpg
WP_000124.jpg
WP_000131.jpg

andredup

Sep 8, 2010
Kent,England
Good looking boat.The finish,like so many here,leaves me envious.

Would a longer paddle not make it easier for your future son? (Not have to lean as much to the side to dig blade in/not scrape the gunnel top)

swampfox

Mar 17, 2011
Thanks! That was the maiden voyage. I just grabbed a old paddle from another boat, but yes I'm going to add a little seat and make some longer paddles too.

swampfox

Mar 17, 2011
Yes I sure do. I love stuff made of wood. Guns, boats, etc. Not like that crap they make today. It started at a young age because my dad has a boat that my grandpa built, sometime in the 40's, he thinks. It's a awesome boat, and I haven't seen any designs like it, some are close. It's kind of like a runabout, but it was used for hunting. Because of that it's rotted some in the front from hitting logs, then water seeped between the glass and wood.

I'm kind of hoping if my dad doesnt get to it (it's been upside down in the shed for 5 years) he might let me fix it.....one can only dream
When I showed him that little boat, he said he wished my grandpa was here because he would be proud.
But anyway I have plans for a gator boat. But I really love that strip pirogue that beekeeper built.

I'm from Louisiana but working in Texas. So being away from friends and family, I have all the time in the world..lol

swampfox

Mar 17, 2011
Where about are you at. I do drive home when it's cheeper than a plane ticket sometimes. I might be able to swing in and at least check out some of you builds, the few I've seen on here are nice.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
swampfox
Nice boat. Tell us about it. Size, wood, design, etc.?
Put a lifejacket ( a good practice anytime) on the lad and let him jump out and climb back in the boat a few times and you will not need the outriggers. Kids adapt very fast. Once he gets his confidence you will have to build another boat, for you.
Which Gator design do you have plans for. I built the Croc. Their build methiod is so simple and requires no fiberglassing. Your "practice" boat reminded me of them.
Thanks for the compliment on the stripper pirogue. It is proving to be a very good boat for my use.

beekeeper

swampfox

Mar 17, 2011
Thanks..It the one sheet skiff. There are a few differnt free plans on the internet. An yes that kind of why I built it because it was like the gator boat. The one I'm going to build is the Croc. I looked at the post mark on the plans envalope and it was '09, so it's time. I have thousands of ideas in my head..lol

The floor, sides, and transom are made of 1 sheet of luan. Then just cheep 2x4's and 1x2's for the rest. For just the wood, screws and glue it was under $30. So that was awesome!! Then I painted it black and put the shark mouth on the front. I built it in one day, but I fiberglasssed the bottom and paint it. Seemed like that took forever!! But it was about 3 weekends. I put about 3 coats of spar urethane on the inside. I was really surprised at how the wood grain in the cheep luan poped!!

And yes bee, that is always good practice. After I loaded the picture I realized it didn't look good with him without one. We were so excited to get in, we just hoped right in. It was on the bank, his mom threw it to him after this picture. He could stand up in the water right there so it wasn't as bad as it looked.

thanks for the comps!

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I was not trying to be critical, just offering a suggestion. I'm glad he put it on after the picture. I was thinking if he used the boat as a "water toy" a few times he would gain confidence. A pool is a great place for this. The one sheet skiff would fit very easily. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7716

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Swampfox, you're knee deep in a lotta Grandpas on this site, and we'll offer suggestions about how to raise kids (just as if us Olde Fartes really knew what we were talking about). BeeKeeper is a loving Grandpa, and has a tender heart for kids (but he's death on fish!) Deep in our hearts, just like you, we're all really concerned about kids and are glad to see folks involving them in real life type activities. Good on ya, mate!

swampfox

Mar 17, 2011
No offense was takin in the comment, bout the life jacket at all. :) That is some nice pictures and a good idea bee. I have took him to the sand bar in Lake Maurepas, where its a foot or two deep. As with kids he allready has outgrown that boat. I may need to make one like you have in that set of pics, that one should last a while. I'm going to build me a few first though.. :lol: