First Question...Staggered Side Joints? | SouthernPaddler.com

First Question...Staggered Side Joints?

TradGlenn

Jun 26, 2007
Central Florida
I put my order in RAKA this morning so I have to wait for the epoxy. But I went ahead and put the ribs together and also ripped the Luan into sections.

Everything went fine until I laid the side section on the floor to make sure they lined up. The sides are perfect except where the butt joint will be. The joints are gonna be staggered about 2 inch from each other instead of centered in the boat.

I guess it really won't matter as far as being structurally sound but what about looks?

Suggestions?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
YOU will notice the difference, about 80% of onlookers will never see it. Experienced builders will see it, and either ignore it, or compliment you for staggering them for strength.

Once in a while, a greenhorn will ask about it. Tell him it's an old boat building custom to let out evil spirits.

(That's what a Japanese landlord told me when I asked him about all the unsquare corners in my house in Misawa, Japan.)

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
T-Glenn you'll notice he's full of it!!......................................Helpfull tips that is. I'm sure the stagger will be hard to notice like the Master of deception has afore mentioned. Just remember he means well and is not pointing fingers or anything like that. He has even worked out the percentages of people that might notice. Heck i'm impressed with that little nugget of info in itself. He is my hero! :lol:

Hey Jack down here! Just a another chain yanker who cant get enough of your wit and sage advice

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
TradGlenn said:
I guess it really won't matter as far as being structurally sound but what about looks?
Friend Glenn,

At closin' time it iz hard ta tell. I staggered outta a heap a joints, but so far I never had a no problem. There wuz one guy I went ta high school with who sez hiz brother met up with a fine lookin' woman down in the Big Sleazy, but he felt somethin' that tole him she wuz structurally unsound.......did not belong.....so he run fer the door.

I reckon that wuz the 1960 version of online predators.

regards
bearridge

Our government... teaches the whole people by its example. If the government becomes the lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. Louis D. Brandeis

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Br'r Bear! What an interesting conversation and coincidence about staggering!I have just staggered out of my local saloon after spending about three hours there. So, after a dozen Garlic-Parmesan wings and 15 or 20 beers I find this conversation interesting. I was also surprised to learn Jack had his phone number changed after visiting the "Facility" in my saloon. Something or other about a terrible time call this number or something. Chucks number is on the ladies facility wall from what the ladies tell me....Something about size on the Buffalo....I dunno.....Must be ESP tonight with the staggering thing? I dunno. :roll:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldyaker said:
So, after a dozen Garlic-Parmesan wings and 15 or 20 beers I find this conversation interesting.
Garlic-Parmesan? Not hot wings? How bout Garlic-Parmesan hot wings? This iz good. Garlic Parmigiani Reggiani hot wings.....cajun style?

Pssst....dont tell nobody, but this afternoon I made Sam's Cafe Salad Dressin'. My Mom had it frum when she wuz a little pardner. I figger Sam had ta be a Dago cuz of all the garlic. He run a cafeteria with those glass blocks ya caint see thru. It wuz 1950's high style.

I had ta change it jest a bit. I dont put 12 tsp of black pepper in nothin'. Besides, I gotta keep David in mind nowadays, so I aint gwine ta share this one til I see how it does in my belly. If ya'll got vampires, this stuff iz bound ta make 'em keep their distance. :wink:

regards
bearridge

Americans can eat garbage, provided you sprinkle it liberally with ketchup, mustard, chili sauce, tabasco sauce, cayenne pepper, or any other condiment which destroys the original flavor of the dish. Henry Miller

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
bearridge said:
... Americans can eat garbage, provided you sprinkle it liberally with ketchup, mustard, chili sauce, Tabasco sauce, cayenne pepper, or any other condiment which destroys the original flavor of the dish. Henry Miller
Sounds like a working definition of a hot dog. In a wiener, the fat and cereal are the two best ingredients. The rest are "Five T" stuff: Tails, tits. tongues, touch holes, and testicles.