First salt water fishin trip in waaaay to long | SouthernPaddler.com

First salt water fishin trip in waaaay to long

hairymick01

G'day guys.

Its been nearly 3 years since I have been fishing in salt water, even though I live only 4 minutes walk from a put in here on our Queensland coast. A sunset, low tide shot of the put in

Life has got in the way for the most part but I am starting to get things squared away now 8) and plan to be doing a LOT more camping and fishing in the future. Yesterday, I did a little unarmed recce trip across the flats in the bay and the place was alive with quality fish.

Beach on the other side of the bay.

In crossing the bay, a small creek in the mangroves looked promising so at 0400 this morning, I set out in my little Laker armed with some ultra light spinning gear and pulled up on a sand bank near the mouth to collect some live bait.

Dawn Shots

Put in in the back ground

Creek mouth

And drifted up the creek, casting unweighted baits at likely looking structure along the way. It wasn't long before the first bream rose to the challenge. God I love these great little fighters! Just to watch their bow waves of them in the shallows as they test the limits of my one kilo gear really gets the blood pumping. I could rave about fishing for bream for hours but from a small kayak in clear water about 12 inches deep can only be described as sensational .

As the sun rose, the fish moved into deeper water and I had had enough fun for one day. A couple of piccies,,

Gonna do this again real soon.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick......

We are finally going to get some decent weather and I plan on getting out and about. All I need is the green light from the cardiologist next week. :D
I hope to get a stringer of fish like you do , they would make a great supper or breakfast.
Your trips around Australia and now the fishing you are doing are a nice break for me during the summer when the heat ( and other things ) tends to discourage outdoor activities.

Chuck.

hairymick01

Thanks Jack and Chuck. our bream are really good to eat and great fun to catch.

While I was paddling around the other day, I couldn't help but thing just how good a UJ pirogue would be in those waters.

Matt has designed something really special for Evie that he calls an Akuna. The word is aboriginal (not sure which dialect) for Way Forward and seems very apt to me at this time. I am thinking that the Akuna would be probably also be ideal for these tidal flats.

Re the heat, I am hearing you brother. It is early spring here so the weather is still nice and cool. The days are warming up to around 80f or so which is just nice for us.