First timer introduction | SouthernPaddler.com

First timer introduction

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
Hey everyone. I just started building my first boat, an UJ pirogue. I've been reading everyone's posts during the past year and already I've learned a lot. There is lots of good information here and thanks to all of you that pass along your knowledge. I hope to be able to help other first timers in the future. I'm an amateur woodworker that has always wanted to build a boat. I always wanted to build a strip canoe but that was before I knew what was possible with plywood. I didn't even know what a pirogue was a few weeks ago but I already think it's the coolest little boat ever and can't wait to try it out.

I'm using some poplar for the ribs etc that was a product of a hurricane a few years back. After cutting into it I found that quite a bit of it was wormy. So, I've had to spend a lot of time planing and jointing and cutting to get enough good wood for the ribs, stems and most of 2 seats. I'm going with luan for the plywood since this is my first. The only thing I'm really concerned about is the glassing. I've never done that before. Hopefully, it will work out and I'll have a boat soon!

Thanks for your help,
Greg

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
Welcome Greg. If you have any questions about the pirogue build, just ask. You will get a range of answers and one of them might even be correct. :D

Jimmy

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Welcome aboard. our usual greeter is out harassing the gators in a Louisiana bayou right now. Just remember to have fun and always be as honest as Jack is. :wink:

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Greg and welcome aboard mate.

The place is a mad house at times and hijacking of threads is expected by many :lol: :oops:

Many of us are geezers and we wander off course a bit. :D

The UJ pirogue is a great boat mate and it enjoys allmost a cult status here.

I have been meaning to slap one up at home for a while now but something allways gets in the way. Like I need another bloody boat. :oops:

Be warneed mate, this boat building caper is addictive, as many here can attest. One boat will never be enough.

Please share with us your build adventures, piccies and thoughts along the way. this way, we can all share in your budding addiction and get our little cyber fix from time to time.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Great choice for a first boat! Far and away the easiest design of the three boats I've built, and it makes a graceful looking, useful craft.

The fiberglass is kind of intimidating, isn't it? Read all you can, make sure you have all your gear in order before you start, and be patient.

You can (and will) get more extensive advice than that, but that's the high points.

Welcome to the forum. It is a wonderful place to learn and to ask questions.

George