Fish Sauce | SouthernPaddler.com

Fish Sauce

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Matt,

I can tell right away that your service in the Air Force got you either stateside, or maybe to Europe. When us guys that were in Nam hear the words "fish sauce", three words instantly come to mind.

The first two are Nuc Mon. This is the town in RVN where it is made, and the name of the sauce.

The third word is RROOAAARRKK!!

islandpiper

Matt, there's lots of ways to make shrimp....or anything else....without fish sauce.

If you Must have it, simply collect some fish heads and tail and innards and sea salt and pack them in a nice barrel, wood or plastic, and pit it where the sun can hit it about 1/2 the day, and simply wait a few years till it cooks down to a nice smooth syrup.

In short, Kayak Jack, AS USUAL, is correct.

Guess I'd just mash up some anchovies and EVOO and a bit of garlic and use that.

Carry on. Piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Matt....
Shrimp sauce is a lot better. When you cook the shrimp use some butter , olive oil , garlic and some onion along with anything else you like in the pan.

Cook the shrimp in it and then take the drippings with there happy marriage of flavors and serve it over the shrimp when you put then on top of some hot rice. :D

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Aaaaah, vegemite on toast :D :D :D :D

The fish sauce is the same stuff. You only need a very little. Sprinkle it in the wok with your shrimp or fish & veges.

Cooked, It tastes much better than it smells in the bottle.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Fish sauce is good eats in the right proportions like Mick said. It is very flavorful with a bowl of sticky rice and some Thai bbq or chiken skewers and hot chili sauce and a Cold Ting Sao beer or Saporro MMMMMM! Like soy sauce it goes a long way being so salty. Thai food espacially has a very strong french influence and there food if prepared correctly is some of the best I've eaten. Neighboring countries while having there own regional differences all have similarities and most are based around seafood ergo fish sauce being very popular in those regions.

Eat DRINK and be Merry!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Thai food yes. Rotten fish no. You can put night crawlers in a glass jar in the sun and get a smelly, oily sauce too. But, I don't.

Now, maybe it's other memories of Nam that make the stuff stink so bad? Naw, the whole damned country stank.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Now, maybe it's other memories of Nam that make the stuff stink so bad? Naw, the whole damned country stank.

Not any more mate. :D

Ever wonder why very good oriental cooking done by orientals has that little something that we just can't replicate?

Fish sauce is one of their secrets. :D

Like Chad said, when doing a little stir fry-up, be it vegetable, beef, chicken or seafood, just sprinkle a few drops in. It will make a very good dish sensational.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Lord it took near but a year, but I finally run up on a bottle of fish sauce. This one sez it iz a Vietnam Dippin' Fish Sauce (made in Thailand), so I got a box of Ritz Crackers. Ole Andy sez anythin' iz good that sets on a Ritz. :wink: Now I gotta figger out jest what else ta dip in it. [Reckon I teed that one up fer Bob, oldyaker, Hobblin' Jackn'n the rest of the Kimchi boys?] :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

Mebbe I will bake a onion pie like oldyaker 'n put a teaspoon 'er two of fish sauce in it?

regards
bearridge

ps Mebbe it aint all the cigarettes that keeps 'em so small? Mebbe they spend all their spare time drinkin' Pepto Bismol? :lol: :lol:

My manner of living is plain and I do not mean to be put out of it. A glass of wine and a bit of mutton are always ready. George Washington

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Dump the whole bottle into a pot of gree-itz, add several cans of Viennie snausages, and two quarts of okra. That way, all the $h!+ will be in one, ghastly pot.

This is more than a suitable sub for syrup of ipecac.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

My Nuc Mon iz mitey dang tasty. Put some on leftover deer shoulder I grilled a few weeks back mixed with some left over take out stir fry with too much saffron. Even Jarvis woulda liked it. Then fer supper I made me a salad (cuz my cardiac doc tole me ta lose 15 pounds) 'n put some more Nuc Mon on it....even spilled some on the counter. Wiped it up quick....gotta tell Miz Bear "naw honey, I dont smell nuthin' fer a while".

Tomorrow I mite even try a whole teaspoon of it on somethin'....but not my cheese grits. :wink:

Thanks Matt.

regards
bearridge

Roscoe: Howdy, my name’s Roscoe Brown. Is this Texas? I’m frum Arkansaw.
Ole Sam: Got any whiskey?
Roscoe: Yes sir, I got a bottle rite here in my poke. I’d be glad ta share it with you. Havin’ possum for yer supper are ya?
Ole Sam: Yeah, but you aint.