Flight Physical | SouthernPaddler.com

Flight Physical

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Part of getting my private pilot's license is a physical. Today, I went. The doc is also a pilot, instrument rated and multi engine rated. So he has some credibility when he speaks about the subject. Still, I passed

I will have to wear glasses when I fly. No sweat. But, in the military, you can NOT be a pilot and have to wear glasses. Lower standards for civilians, I guess.

Later on in the training, I'm hoping we'll strap on a Gatling under the fuselage. I've been eying a few herds of cows that I'd like to strafe. And, of course, any jet skiers I see on the water.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Jack, you can fly down here and land on a little strip that has a take-off and landing flight path almost right over my house. Would make for a faster trip. Might be hard to strap a kayak on top of the plane, though. :)

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
I can see it now- dozens of Seadoos painted on the engine cowling of a Cessna 172. A Smiling Kayac Jack being awarded the Luan distinguished flying star, with saw dust clusters. Chuck will epoxy it to Jack's chest, while we all salute.
(Talk amonst yourselves, I am all verklemt!)
On a lighter note,(for me anyway, the subject of the upcoming anecdote probably wasn't amused.)
The father of two boys I went to junior highschool with, was , after being repremended for hedge hopping in Korea, was unceremoniously booted from the USAF, when he hit a cow in the butt. With an F-86!
The cow and the aircraft did not survive the incident.
Neither did the pilot's USAF career.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
p

Friend Jack,

Way to go on working toward your PPL. Although EXPENSIVE it is a lot of fun. I do have over 22000 hrs in itty bitty airplanes so if I can help with advice in any way let me know.

P.S. All my time after getting my CSEL/INST was flying pipelines so if any of your questions are about flight above 500 ft I may not be much help.

As an aside, glasses are worn by many A F Pilots. What you cannot do is START training for the position needing them. And even that may have changed since I retired.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Baldy, I may well be coming to you and Yakus Aviatricus with lots of questions. I was doing steep turns today and don't like them. I keep leaning into the cockpit to keep from falling out.

My IP is a 27 year old kid (skinny to boot!) and we have a lot of fun flying. He keeps mine arse n the straight and narrow, and we kid a lot. Amazing how none of the standard AF sayings have never penetrated into the civilian world. He calls me a fat old man, and I call him a skinny young kid. We're both accurate.

BTW, I like flying at low altitudes so I can see what the heck is down there. Towers, now, have a whole new meaning to me though!

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Listen Smiln' Jackson....You must put on that airplane like a pair of your favorite trousers. Than you will learn to fly by the seat of your pants and make coordinated turns without even looking at the turn and ball. Stay with the turns, quit leaning.

At least we all lived long enough to get fat and old.......Fat, old and ugly in your case Smiln' Jack! :wink:

Any of you youngn's remember the Smiln' Jack Cartoons?
http://www.smilinjackart.com/about.htm

Alas....Our Jack looks nothing like the Cartoon Smiln' Jack. :roll:

Paddlin'Gator

Feb 2, 2008
Tequesta, FL
Yep, Smilin'Jack was one of my favorite cartoon strips, plus it always had a little aviation history included. Zack Mosley lived in Stuart, FL and many of the characters in the strip were caricatures of real folks who flew or worked at our local airport, Witham Field in the late 1940's and 1950's.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I just called State Farm and reduced my car insurane by 50% since Jack is flying the roads have to be a lot safer .... NOW.

Chuck.
PS. Jack I admire your gumption and go for it , do it and have a blast while enjoying all of it. Please just don't land on my vehicle. :lol:

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
b

Did someone mention buzzards ?
MVC-006F.jpg

MVC-003F.jpg

That is just one of about 15. That one bent the spar.

I am an ACE having destroyed [6] six count em 6 airplanes.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Canadian geese, sea gulls, and killdeer are around our airport much of the damned time. We came within a few feet of a goose one day, and did a JC maneuver to miss it. (After you do it, you say "Jazuz Christ!"

Chuck, one day I walked into the office and said, "Well, I wore my glasses on the way into work this morning. Did you guys know there's a LOT of CARS out there!" A couple of them believed me at first.

And, Chuck, I'll try to not land on our vehicle. But, if you get a radio call one day to increase your speed up to about 68 mph, try to avoid tunnels and bridges? I'll try to settle in on your roof gently.

Baldy, I like flying low, but will stay a couple of thousand feet above the ground. Lots of towers out there now. Raises the pucker factor.

Yakus Coordinatedicus - that damned ball gets all over the place. Not nearly as bad as it used to, though. I'm a slow, but steady, learner. You oughta be with me in slow flight. Does wonders for your digestive tract.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Chuck, I'll try to not land on our vehicle. But, if you get a radio call one day to increase your speed up to about 68 mph, try to avoid tunnels and bridges? I'll try to settle in on your roof gently.

All we have down here are overpasses , no tunnels since they fill with water when dug.

That roof rack I have on the Jeep will hold 350 pounds and with the roll bars on the inside it would hold a small plane ( If it does not weight more then the Jeep does) so if you need to use the Jeep for a landing ... please have a light lunch and stay away from the Cracker Barrel Restaurant and those Strawberry Sundaes.
"O" I would appreciate it if you made sure the prop on the plane does not scratch the hood of the Jeep. Scratches are a misery to polish out of it. :lol:

Chuck.

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
One of the weird jobs I had in the olden days, was recovering fabric planes. Air Knockers, Tea carts, and Cubs, almost exclusivley.
We recovered a 1937 J-3 for an old man, who may have bought the plane new. He had something like 60,000 hours, every bit of it in the Cub. He had checked out in about a dozen planes, but after the check ride, he would climb back in the Cub.
Like Jack, he liked the fly low. He would come to the hanger, about every other day to check on his "Baby", and hanger fly awhile.
One phrase that has always personified the old man for me, was"Low and slow". He said it a lot, while he followed me around the plane, as I was doping fabric on the aircraft. I took to refering to him as "Low and Slow".
When we finally got the last coat of that god awful yellow butarate dope on it, and the numbers stenciled on, he was waiting.
When the painted numbers were dry, we pushed the plane out of the hanger, he climbed in. I propped him, and he was on his way.
(For those who may not know, "Propping" is starting an aircraft engine by spinning the prop by hand. The Continental A-65 had no starter. The old man was a widower, and lived alone. He had a grass strip beside his house, and he propped the plane by himself at home, standing beside the plane, beind the prop. That seemed inordinately dangerous to me, but he had done it for many years, and still had both arms.)
We had a pretty good cross wind that day, almost at right angles to the runway, so he took off on the grass beside the runway.
We expected him to fly around the field, and land, and we would figure out how to get both his car and his plane back home for him.
We couldn't see him, but we could hear him. for about a half hour, we could hear him, and not see him.
The single runway ran almost directly North and South, and we had a pretty brisk wind out of the East. The paved runway was in the center of an about 100 yard wide cut through cross timber forest. When he took off, he had leveled off just barely above the trees. We could hear him coming in from the West, but we couldn't see him, and we were getting worried. We came up with implausable reasons why he didn't seem to be moving. (The most reasonable of which, was that he had gotten stuck in a tree, and was trying to rock himself free.)
Finally, after a half hour, we saw him, coming in from the West. Flying at an altitude of about fifty feet, and at a ground speed of about five MPH!
We had a long term parking apron on the West side on the runway, South of the hanger. When he got over the apron, he reduced power, pulled the nose up, and basically hovered down to the pavement. If it had been a modern airplane, the stall alarm would have been screaming! He slowly, and gently, lowered the Cub onto the apron, right over the anchors.
I went out to tie him down, as it was so windy, if he wasn't going to take the plane home, it was in genuine danger of blowing away.
As I approached the plane, he opened the door, and yelled"Low and slow, the only way to go", and asked me to arrange getting his car back home, which I did.
My boss took the old man's car home for him, and I took an Air Knocker Chief over to pick him up. I gave the boss an hour or so head start, and when I landed at the old mans grass strip, they were bending their elbows, with the top of a bottle of Old Grandad.
When we were approaching our own strip, the boss asked if I wanted to try to land like the old man. Not only NO, But Hell NO! Said I!
I side slipped between the trees and the runway, on the upwind side, and landed on the grass at an angle of 30 degrees. (Love grass strips!)
If you hang around a hanger long enough, you will hear of every feat possible with an air craft. Some believable, some may take some effort to believe, But that old man landing a J-3 vertically was the damndest bit of flying I have ever witnessed with my own eyes.
Like someone mentioned in an earlier post, the old man put on that plane like a pair of pants. When he was in it, it was a part of him.
Not long after that, I had to give up flying. It just got too expensive. Rental was twelve dollars an hour wet when I started. When it went to thirty dollars an hour dry, I just couldn't afford it anymore.
My boss offered to sell me the Aeronca Chief for $1,200, and I turned him down. When you're working for three bucks an hour, $1,200 is an enormous amout of money, but I have been kicking myself in the ass for the last 35 years for not buying that plane!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
All we have down here are overpasses , no tunnels since they fill with water when dug.

That roof rack I have on the Jeep will hold 350 pounds and with the roll bars on the inside it would hold a small plane ( If it does not weight more then the Jeep does) so if you need to use the Jeep for a landing ... please have a light lunch and stay away from the Cracker Barrel Restaurant and those Strawberry Sundaes.
"O" I would appreciate it if you made sure the prop on the plane does not scratch the hood of the Jeep. Scratches are a misery to polish out of it. :lol:

Chuck.
Well, I appreciate the welcome. But, frankly, if I'd have to forego the strawberry sundaes at Cracker Barrel, for weight savings I'll go look for another landing site. Jimmy taught me well.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
When I was a little kid, during the war, open cockpit bi-wingers would hedge hop over fences in farm fields in back of the house. Aye god it was sure fun watching them!

A man has only one virginity, and if he loses it to a fine airplane, it's a good thing. Thank God for class G airspace!

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Kayak Jack said:
A man has only one virginity, and if he loses it to a fine airplane, it's a good thing. Thank God for class G airspace!

You are in for a real thrill on your first solo Jackus Aeronauticus......

A split S or roll and hammerhead turn are real thrills as well....
(Have your CFI at least show you a spin.)

Old airplanes and unrestricted airspace.....more of each going away all the time. :(