Florida and the Gulf States , Hurricane Watch | SouthernPaddler.com

Florida and the Gulf States , Hurricane Watch

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Watching Tropical Storm Dorian in the Atlantic was interesting. Now Dorian is a Hurricane and coming to visit central Florida. Weather Underground... https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane
From what they are showing it will be sitting right in the middle of Florida Monday at 2 P.M.
That means we will start feeling it Sunday , probably early A.M. and continuing till late Tuesday or early Wednesday. Then it will be in the Gulf of Mexico and who knows from there.
Today I started getting the place Hurricane proofed and will be ready by Saturday afternoon.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I used to have "typhoonization" duties on Okinawa. Get aircraft, hangars, office buildings, homes, etc. ready for typhoons (Oriental hurricane). One time, the eye circled the island.

Typhoon rum parties were memorable - if I could have remembered anything afterwards.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
I used to have "typhoonization" duties on Okinawa. Get aircraft, hangars, office buildings, homes, etc. ready for typhoons (Oriental hurricane). One time, the eye circled the island.

Typhoon rum parties were memorable - if I could have remembered anything afterwards.
Hey chuck hoping the best for yal and everyone. Ant no telling what or where. It goes?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Now they say it will come ashore around the Jupiter and the Lake Okeechobee area as a cat #4. Then turn due north and march up the center of the state. The upside is it should lose some strength as it comes north over land around a cat #1 here. According to them if it does that we are in for 2 or 3 days of wind and rain. If things are normal that means no power for a while. Last one we were without power for almost three weeks. One time before that we never lost power so the power question is a crap shoot on with or without it. The odds are , no power.
It's all still up in the air to exactly what it will do. Only thing that's for sure right now is the humidity. When you step outside you become a ball of sweat. The up side is we have three more days to prepare for it so you can take breaks to cool off.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
. . . . . and in the meantime, the Great Lakes is starting a beautiful Indian summer. We need to be able to squint, wrinkle our nose (ala Elizabeth Mongomery), and move from one locale to another - just like that!! And, if we cross our fingers just right, also travel to differen times.

Now, THAT would be interesting. JD would travel to a place and time of watching as a 24" lunker swallowed the bait, pulling down the bobber. Joey would travel to a Cajun fiesta. I would travel to a drive in movie date with Shirley . . . . . well that's another story.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Sorry y'all are going to be the target, but I'm darn sure glad it isn't coming to Texas. We still haven't gotten everything back to normal since Harvey blessed us with 52" of rain.

Last edited: