Fontana Lake 4th of July Week | SouthernPaddler.com

Fontana Lake 4th of July Week

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
I must be getting close to being a "Geezer" as we camped for almost a whole week and never broke camp, a new first for us. We found Cable Cove Campground on Lake Fontana, NC and while our plan was to camp a few nights and then move, we opted to stay put. A very wise and relaxing choice. We did day paddles in the area and ended up paddling Fontana Lake (a small portion), Nantahala Lake, and Bear Lake as well as doing some Ducky paddling on the Nantahala and Tuskageehee Rivers. We also included some sightseeing by Truck. What a great location with so much to do.

Smokey Mountains with Lake Fontana

IMG_2814_1.jpg

Campsite at Cable Cove Campground

IMG_2803.jpg

Paddling on the Big Water

IMG_0070_8.jpg

Waterfall we hiked up to on Bear Lake.

IMG_0117_2.jpg

Paddling over the Falls on the Nantahala River.

img_0505_1.jpg

Some of the local Scenery.

IMG_2827.jpg

Fancy tree trimmer.

IMG_3016.jpg

Dam at Lake Fontana.

IMG_3036.jpg

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Beautiful.

I was on the other side... I was on an extended-family vacation in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area for the 4th. You know all the traffic jams, tail lights, crowded sidewalks, and car exhaust that you were escaping? That's where I was :cry: Not quite the type of trip I'm used to. Looks like your trip is more what I'm used to :)

Many years ago, a buddy and I hiked 4 days on the Appalachian Trail starting and ending at Fontana Dam. That was a great trip. Another time, I took the ducky over the falls too. Great fun. My little taste of the Smokys (and your pictures) is giving me big time withdrawals. I think I need to return sooner rather than later. :D