Food of the Gods? | SouthernPaddler.com

Food of the Gods?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Heck all it takes is seven Ritz Crackers ( a few more might be OK as a chaser) for the seven little canned delights from heaven.

A real gourmet like Mac will have them straight , nothing else on them , personally I like some of that (Hot) Heinz Steak Sauce or some Chinese Mustard ( that yellow stuff which is a jelled fire) , it makes my eyes water from the delight of such a delicious meal.

Dump the juice out and replace it with either of those two items and then sit back against a tree , watching the river flow by and have a true paddlers river side snack. It does not get any better then that , unless you have a small glass of some good wine with them.
If you don't have the wine then the Orange flavored Gator Aid will do in a pinch.

The other benefit of having them is like the one time on Outhouse Key when I opened a can of them , had the Ritz crackers sitting there waiting for the marriage of them with the Vienna's. The benefit is that if you are not sure you are camping with Yankees when you set up that meal , when ya stick your knife blade in there and pull out that 1st Vienna they run for the bushes heaving there guts out , the WIMPS. Work's everytime. :D

That Vienna Sausage Sandwich Spread would be good in the morning on a bagel. I will have to make that for Kayak Jack on the next trip we do.

Ya all got me to thinking about the lonely Vienna and all of the possibilities it has besides a river side snack.

It would make a good supper , Take a Ritz , spear a Vienna and cut it down the middle (like ya do a hot dog) lay it on the cracker. Now add a slice of a pickled Jalapeño pepper on it.
Cover that with another Ritz , serve it with some Pickled Okra ( some good stuff , especially the Texas Hot ) and to have a yellow vegetable with it to round out the meal , some pickled baby corn on the side. ( both of those don't last long around here )

The possibilities are endless on the combinations that would work with the under rated Vienna. Get a pickled whole ( or raw) Banana Pepper and use the Vienna as stuffing in it. That would make an outstanding river side snack , healthy also.

To make it even better add some grits ( cooked) in the pepper as a coating around the Vienna , this way the pepper would be a complete meal. I wounder how that would be warmed over a fire on a grill , just pick them off as the grill marks get on them and chow down. Hot , pickled Banana Peppers stuffed with grits and Vienna's ...... It could not get any better then that. Unless it might be a Bell Pepper. :D

Dang , I can see I have a lot of different recipes to try before some Yankees go on another trip with me.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Vienna Snausage Sammich Spread

2 (5 ounce) cans vienna sausages, drained
2 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
4 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
1/2-3/4 cup mayonnaise (may need a little more to make it more spreadable)
1 1/2-2 teaspoons granulated sugar (depending on your sweet tooth)
salt
pepper
garlic powder

Helluva waste of good pickle relish and mayo. Unless it's served with a cocktail of Alka Seltzer heavily laced with ipecac.

Lord, Chuck, you're right. Serve'em with gritz. No sense ruining TWO meals. Add tofu and you could save ruining THREE meals.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Tofu now there one never figured out. I'd like to see the guy they got to taste it after the scientist put it all together. I figger he's from New york city.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Ozark said:
Tofu now there one never figured out. I'd like to see the guy they got to taste it after the scientist put it all together. I figger he's from New york city.

OZ....This may come as a shock to you...please sit down. Chuckles eats tofu. :shock: Yes...it's true. :? Br'r bear is also a tofu pusher. Neither one is from NY let alone the North.If you look way back thru earlier posts in the recipe section, you will see what I'm talking about.
A guy makes fun of me for eating oysters, eats Mechanically separated chicken, pork, water, salt, corn syrup, hydrolyzed soy and potato protein, dextrose, hydrolyzed casein and whey protein, flavoring, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrate. With fat and salt, makes fun of a guy who eats oysters. Go figure.
Nutrition Facts: Serving size 1 can - Total fat 30g, Cholest. 90mg, Sodium 840mg, Calories 320.

I bet ya never knew a Florida Cracker could be a green polo shirt wear'n, latte' sipp'n, gold yuppie jeep driv'n, tofu eat'n kind of guy?

I hope you don't think any less of him..... :roll:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
dangermouse01 said:
A can of Vienna's contains 7 sausages.
A serving of Vienna's is 3 :roll:
A can contains about 2.5 servings
Just some Vienna observationsDM

A case of beer has 24 cans.....there are 24 hours in a day.....Just some beer observations. :wink:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
[raises hand].....hmmmmm.....oldyaker, I talk tofu, but it haz been years....mebbe decades since I ate any. I figger it iz good stuff tho. There must be a tasty way ta whup up a batch. I jest aint found it yet. :wink:

It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing kids around with power tools. unknown high school student

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Can you roll this tofu into a ball then leave it out in the sun till it hardens up and kill a squirl with your sling shot like you can a vienne?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Brother Ozarkus Viennaicus,

Some folks try to tout the Okinawan Diet, rich in tofu. A couple years ago, the Real Age Network, actually a good source of well researched information, was doing such. I emailed them. Words to the effect of:

"You people may want to know something about Okinawa. I lived there for three and a half years. Okinawans eat tofu ONLY as a cheap substitute for real meat. The instant they can afford meat, tofu gets chucked out the window.

Also, Okinawans aren't all that healthy, nor do they live all that long."

They hardly ever talk tofu much any more now.

Now, you may want to think about this. The folks who invented tofu, use it in some specialty dishes only. It is not a staple of their diet. If that makes sense to you, then you will know what to do with tofu. If not, then you may go ahead and eat it. Probably won't do you much harm.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I just noticed that our friends from Down Under haven't posted.
As it's coming the holiday season is there any American treats we can send you?

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
bearridge said:
I see they turn out a freeze dried tofu good fer campin'.

Do they make freeze dried grits Br'r Bear? :wink: Next on SP Enquirer.......Who here on SP lambastes grits but munches on them in the privacy of his closet? :lol: :lol:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Hmmmm...this could be fun like one of those murder mystery's WHO DUNNIT! "The butler done it with a candle holder in the library!" "The maid done it with a kitchen knife in the pantry!" Jack ate grits in the out house at midnight! Bear sipped a scotch in the dark behind the big rock after midnight! Chuckles munched a block of tofu in his hammock after everyone retired for the evening! Swampy dressed up like a Hersey's Kiss when no one was look'n! Yak stole the Dago Red from Br'r Bears stash while Br'r Bear slept!
So....Who do you think is the closet grits muncher Br'r Bear :?:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I dont know. I wont tell ya'll what me'n the maid done in the billiard room....whilst Col. Mustard watched, but I will tell ya'll she wuz a gymnast in her younger years. Why do ya'll think our job description calls fer one?

Esplanade (v.), to attempt an explanation while drunk.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Only the Shadow knows. Do we have a Barnabus among the SP? Will a silver bullet (Coors light) end this maddening time?