Football food.... | SouthernPaddler.com

Football food....

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Steeler's opener today......Enjoying the late Summer or early Fall days of cool nights and warm days. Time for enjoying football food.

Emeril made this about 10 years ago for the Super Bowl.....I saved it and made it.... Pretty easy and pretty good.

STEELER'S SHRIMP AND SAUSAGE JAMBALAYA
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

2 tablespoons chopped yellow onion

1 cup chopped green bell peppers

1/2 cup chopped celery

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cayenne

1 pound smoked sausage, cut lengthwise in half, then cut crosswise into 1³4-inch thick slices

4 bay leaves

2 cups peeled, seeded and chopped canned or fresh tomatoes

1 tablespoon chopped garlic

1 pound shrimp

2 cups long-grain white rice

5 cups chicken broth

1/2 cup chopped green onions (scallions), green part only

In a large Dutch oven, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add onions, peppers and celery. Season with salt and cayenne. Cook, stirring
until the vegetables are wilted, about 5 minutes.

Add sausage and cook-stir for 2 minutes. Add bay leaves, tomatoes, garlic and shrimp. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.

Add rice and cook-stir for 2 minutes.

Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, 25
to 30 minutes.

Stir in green onions, remove bay leaves and serve hot.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker....

I bet that would be something easy and really tasty to make out camping. Not a lot to keep cool ( read : using very little space in a cooler). Not a lot of prep time or cooking time but rib sticking good and really different.

Feeds 6 to 8 normal folks , about 3 to 4 campers , might be 5 or 6 with a loaf ( or two ) of French bread and lots of garlic butter to smear on it and some wine to wash everything down.

Fill them up on bread and wine before the meal , heck throw in some good extra sharp cheese for snacking with the bread. :D Or skip the cheese and use some diced/cubed marinated Extra-firm Tofu with toothpicks stuck in them as finger food. Just tell them it is white , seasoned/spiced , cheese , they would not know the difference unless ya told them. :oops: ( same texture as the cheese)

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
Or skip the cheese and use some diced/cubed marinated Extra-firm Tofu with toothpicks stuck in them as finger food. Chuck.

TOFU!!!! :shock: Are you sipping Latte's again Chuckles?.....Did you put on a green polo shirt this morning?Have you looked at today's paper at BMW or Mercedes prices? Have you recently extended your pinky finger while drinking Budweiser? Did you stock up on Grey Poupon? If you answered yes to any of these question.....I'm coming down with a gallon fo Dago Red...pork rinds......and a CD with Charlie Daniels! I get ya cured good buddy! This Green Polo Shirt Wear'.n, Latte' sipp'n. Beamer Driv'n disease ain't tak'n my buddy! I just won't let it happen! :shock: :shock: :? :? :cry:

HEY SWAMPY I'm passing thru on my way to rescue Chuckles! Put on yer camo shorts.....camo snake boots and Sargent Preston of the Yukon hat...PUT ON YER FINEST BLUE TARP AND FOIL ROBES! Maybe if it ain't too late we can shock Chuckles back into our world! CODE RED!!!!! :x

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Actually I have several green polo shirts , they all have written on the back of them ... Sheriffs Combat Pistol Team. Then there is this Gull Wing Mercedes I have drooled over for the past 100 years. If there was just a way to have a canoe rack on it and in 4 wheel drive.

Switched over to the imported stuff and the farther away it is from here , the better. "O" I still have it in a Budweiser tall an frosty mug. This way I think it is a BUD.... Anyway the can says it is and it is from some froeign place called St Louis , Mo. :lol:

Nope .. Sorry to disappoint you and have you forget about coming down here .... If horses don't deliver the beer it ain't for me ... If it is not 4 wheel drive , same story. I do wear the green shirts at times , it or they make folks cut me a wide path , might be that I forgot the Right Guard. :oops:

Mustard .... any that is here or anyone has , I really do not care but Frenches (Yeller) is my choice. Plus we don't listen to Charlie Daniels , we use his beverage over ice ... or is that his brother ... Jack. :? Heck who cares as long as the jug is not empty , Grits and Vienna's forever with pork rinds. :D

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Football season is all about getting together with good friends making good chow with good spirits and friends having fun. The games are just an excuse to do this....

My oldest son gets together with his friends and deep fries a turkey with all the trimmings on select football Sundays'

The American Legion has a Steeler members gathering on game days and serves keilbassa N' Kraut pierogies, halushki, hot Italian sausage with peppers and onions, meat ball hoagies, Buffalo wingsetc.

Haven't been to a football gathering yet where tofu was served......I think they do that at LaCrosse or tennis games....tofu and cucumber finger sandwiches I believe is what I heard....

It's good friends enjoying each others company and having good chow.

BTW....Anyone from Houston......your team is missing......they didn't show up to play the Steelers today? :lol: :lol: :lol:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
"Backyard Brawl" Baked Beans

"Backyard Brawl" Baked Beans

4 strips thick sliced bacon, cut into slivers
2 cups chopped onions
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cans (16 ounces each) Vegetarian Beans, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup Original #7 Jack Daniel's® Grillling Sauce
1/4 cup Hot n' Spicy Ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 teaspoon Dark Brown Mustard
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon Cider Vinegar
1/4 tablespoon Liquid Smoke - or to taste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Stir in the beans, molasses, Jack Daniel's® sauce, Hot n' Spicy Ketchup , brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, brown mustard, dry mustard, cider vinegar and Liquid Smoke. Simmer the beans, uncovered until rich and thickly flavored, 10-15 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon.

You may also place the beans in a baking dish and bake them in a pre-heated 350 degree overn for about 30 minutes.

Season to taste with salt and pepper.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
ULTIMATE PARTY MEATBALLS

ULTIMATE PARTY MEATBALLS

2 1-pound bags frozen cocktail-size meatballs (about 64 meatballs)
1 16-ounce can Ocean Spray Jellied Cranberry Sauce
1 12-ounce bottle Heinz Chili Sauce

Combine cranberry sauce and chili sauce in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking occasionally, until the cranberry sauce is melted and smooth. Add meatballs; stir gently to coat. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, 12 to 15 minutes or until meatballs are heated through. Place in chafing dish or slow cooker to keep warm. Tip: To spice it up even more, add a teaspoon of cumin and a 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne to the sauce while it is cooking.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Grape jelly works good too. They tole me not ta add no cayene 'er jalapeno ta it. We jest put 'em in a crock pot frum the start.....after a hour 'er two they are fittin'.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Warsaw Wings

Warsaw Wings

1 pkg. Mrs. T's Mini Pierogies
2 Tbsp. oil
1 tsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. hot pepper sauce

Toss pierogies with oil, hot pepper sauce, and chili powder.
Bake on a rimmed baking sheet coated with non-stick cooking spray at 400 degrees F for 16-18 minutes until pierogies are nicely puffed and browned.
For best results turn once during baking time.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
dangermouse01 said:
Oldyaker; Your Jambalaya recipes looks kinda light in the yellow onion measurement.DMmike

Yah Mike...For a recipe coming from a self proclaimed Cajun....Emeril is light on it. I tend to use recipes as guidelines. Look how little garlic it has....I use alot more.

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
I kind thought it was as well. My experience with Cajun cooking they all start out with one cup of flour and one cup of oil cooked into a peanut butter roux. (Even if the recipe is for an angelfood cake),
Then the Trinity- One cup onion, one cup (pronounced "own-yon", one cup bell pepper( pronounced" peppa", and one cup celery(pronounced "cerry", is pitched in to cool the roux.
Then pitch in any unfortunate creature that happens to be passing by, a pound of andoulle, a couple of gallons of water, a bottle of Louisiana hot sauce, and cook for four hours.
And it is delicious every time.

An indication of a true Cajun. "I got da raas on, whatcha wan fo suppa".

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Halushki

Halushki - A quickie noodle dish
Found at every Friday night high school football games, tailgate parties and all Polish weddings here...

1 head cabbage
1 package wide noodles
Onions to taste
Butter
Salt and pepper

Variation 1: Cook wide noodles and drain. Cut up cabbage, onions, add butter and water. Cook until cabbage is done, making sure no water remains (5 to 7 minutes). Pour cabbage over noodles and mix well. Add salt and pepper.

Variation 2: Cut the cabbage up any way you like, do the same with the onion. Heat a large pan (I use medium-high heat on an electric range). When the pan is hot, add bacon grease (If you ever make bacon, always save the grease! It keeps a long time in the fridge.) or the 'grease' of your choice. When the grease is hot, add cabbage and onions and saute for a few minutes. Turn down the heat (medium) and cover the pan. Let this cook until the cabbage is soft. If you want the cabbage browned more, remove the lid and turn up the heat again. Add grease as you need it. Add the cooked noodles and serve.

The amount of ingredients you use depends on how much halushki you want to make. Experiment!

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Steeler's Sideline Sausage

Steeler's Sideline Sausage
6 packages of Italian sausage (8 links per pack)
6 large sweet onions
4 green peppers
3 red peppers (they are a bit sweeter than greens)
paprika
garlic powder
crushed red pepper
2 large jars of your choice of tomato sauce

In an iron skillet, prepare your sausage (takes about 4 #10 skillets).

While cooking sausage, 1/2 and slice your peppers and onions, set aside. When sausage is finished, SAVE THE GREASE!! Place sausage and sauce in electric roaster at 250-275 degrees. Cook down peppers and onions in grease, add approximately 1 teaspoon of garlic powder and 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper to each pan and mix thoroughly. Liberally sprinkle paprika over peppers and onions, mix. This will give the veggies a nice orangish-red color as they cook down. Add veggies and grease mixture to roaster and mix with sausage and sauce.

Serve out of the roaster onto sausage rolls and enjoy!!

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Ya'll woke up mitey early 'n mitey hongry. Lemme git a cup a java 'n I'll join ya'll. Where iz the headlines? Who won the Bears game? Iz the High Sheriff outta bed yet? :wink:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Bear...Half a day is shot in the arse and you ain't even had your Simply Smooth coffee yet! Please try to keep up!
http://www.nfl.com/scores

Green Bay and Vikings maybe worthwhile watching........I figure Piper is poking arounf the shop looking for his Cheesehead hat before gametime. Cheddar melting in his Dutch Oven for his fondue'.
I figure we need to serve some cheese dips with that game and maybe cheese dogs. Lager beer.:wink: :wink:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Barbecue for the Crockpot

They make this at the Legion for Sunday games when it's cold outside. Great belly warmer.

Crockpot pulled pork recipe with vinegar and red pepper.
* 1 fresh pork shoulder
* Ground red pepper
* Crushed red pepper
* 1 1/2 c. vinegar
* Salt
Rinse meat and pat dry. Liberally sprinkle meat with red pepper. Place meat in dry crock pot and cook 8 to 10 hours or until very tender. May be put under broiler for crusty top at this point. Bring crushed red pepper and vinegar to boil. Chop, shred, or slice meat and add mixture a spoonful at a time when taste is right, stop. Add salt to taste. Put back in crock pot and keep warm until ready to serve. Serve on bun with slaw

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Cheddar-Onion Dip

Cheddar-Onion Dip
1 large Vidalia onion, trimmed and grated (about 1 cup)
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated (see Note)
1 package (8 ounces) light cream cheese (Neufchatel)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
In a medium-size cast-iron or oven-safe skillet, combine onions, cheeses, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Cook over grill heated to medium heat, stirring until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Garnish with scallions, if desired and serve with crackers.

Note: Use a bag of pre-shredded cheese to save time, but a whole piece you grate yourself will melt more smoothly.