Fort Christmas | SouthernPaddler.com

Fort Christmas

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Fort Christmas is an interesting place to spend a few hours if you like the old homes and Forts. This is there web site. http://www.nbbd.com/godo/FortChristmas/

This dugout was found in the St.Johns River when we had the dry spell.
fort%20001.jpg

fort%20002.jpg

One of the old ranch homes and former hunting clud .. The Bee Head House
fort%20003.jpg

From the front
fort%20004.jpg

The back
fort%20010.jpg

The back corner
fort%20012.jpg

The living room
fort%20013.jpg

The kitchen
fort%20014.jpg

The Brown House
fort%20007.jpg

The Brown house living room
fort%20008.jpg

One ofThe Brown House bedrooms
fort%20009.jpg

An early SUV........
fort%20011.jpg

The main door of the fort
fort%20015.jpg

The Uniforms of the warriors
fort%20016.jpg

Inside the forts main entrance
fort%20017.jpg

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Nice piccies (WHERE did I learn that?) That dugout looks in perfect condition. If I'd have found it, I would be paddling it now. Darned if I'd turn in a piece like that.

(Chuck - notice that the guys who invented the boat were smart enough to use a round-bottomed boat? Darn, that ought to tell you something. Like the old ads for Packard used to say, "Ask the man who owns one.")

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Jack,
They couldn't find any flat bottomed logs :D

Seriously, what a piece of woodcraft. Cutting into a raw log with hand tools to make a nice 1" thick, uniform hull like that. Any idea how old it actually is?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Like you, Steve2, I marvel at the patience and skill of people who could do that. And, it isn't only the fact that they could remove wood neatly, they designed a hydrodynamically clean hull.

Given aluminum (or, aluminium) and time, they would have invented the airplane too.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
No idea on the age of it. All I know is back in the old days if they needed a boat they cut down a Cypress tree, hollowed it out and went on there way.

The Army would sink there boats when they got to there destination, this was to have them out of sight, and when they returned then re-float them and go where they wanted to. This one was buried in the mud on the bottom of the St.Johns River so it probably dates back to one of the three Seminole Wars time period , 1817 to 1858.

If it was an Indian canoe then it would be a lot older. It is a shame they could not locate any flat sided trees then they could have had a good canoe with a flat bottom. :lol:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Anyone smart enough to hollow out a log was smart enough to know how to flatten one side. And, also smart enough to know better. Had they wanted it, you would see it. Obviously, they didn't want it.

Sinking a log canoe has several advantages, I'd guess. Not only is it concealed from your enemies, it also doesn't dry out and develop cracks.

Probably, the graphite-enriched epoxy they applied to the bottom was all worn off by the time you saw it, I'll bet.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
The house and homestead reminds me of the one we visited in the Okey Swamp this past summer Chuck....

Jeez! I thought the warrior on the left was Jack! :shock: Than I realized Jack ain't that good looking. :roll: :wink:

Real nice Pix Chuck!

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
I agree with Chuck, it likely dates back to the 1800's or at least a time when iron tools were available. Early Indian made dugouts that predate iron tools were burnt out and scraped with clam shells resulting in a more rounded dugout. The presence of seats and seat brackets cut into the sides would indicate to me that iron tools were employed.

Of course that's just an opinion, I don't consider myself an expert