Free Electricity ... Sort of | SouthernPaddler.com

Free Electricity ... Sort of

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The wife got a I Phone 11 several months ago and I got a small and lighter version in the I Phone 8. Started thinking about hurricane season and if we might be without power to recharge the phones. Then I remembered a trick a lot of the backpackers do and followed threw with it. It required some digging around to locate what would work the best and I settled on the following.

1. Power ( Rav) Solar Charger 16W Solar Panel with Duel USB Ports , Waterproof and foldable.
****The solar panel comes with two USB connections and cables to recharge a phone or two at one time
The solar panel can be attached to my backpack when I'm camping or walking a trail. This way I can use the GPS , Maps and even Trail Maps plus take pictures and use the phone without any worries of the battery going dead. Plus the solar charger has a waterproof coating. I would not leave it out in a rain but if a few drops get on it , no damage.

2....Portable Charger Anker Power Core 20100mAh Ultra High Capacity Power Bank
**** The power pack comes with one USB cable.
The portable charger ( battery ) will recharge my I Phone 8 ....6 times or the wife's I Phone 11... 3 & 1/2 times according to the reports by others who have it.
Thought it would be a good back up system for the phones if the power goes out here at the house , especially during a hurricane.

Both items were purchased on Amazon and were shipped by Amazon Prime even thought i am not a Prime member , Thank's Amazon. :)

Might say I'm putting Florida's sun light to work for me.

Chuck........

Last edited:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I waited long enough , my I Phone got down to 90% so I tried the solar panel. A simple test to see how well it would recharge the I Phone's battery. I'm happy to say that here in Florida's direct sun light ( Clear skies ). The I Phones battery level went from 90% to 98% in the span of one hour. Left it in the sun and had a quick lunch ( 20 min ) , returning it was at 100% I have no idea how long it was at the 100% level but it is there. :)

I can see why long distance backpackers have the solar panels. I feel safe in saying that for any extended outing away from any commercial power source the Solar panel would be the thing to have. Even at home they can used during power shortages or everyday.