free mulch | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

free mulch

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Bob, it's coming down now and will for most of the night.

Jack, don't know what kind of mulch, but I'd like to see one of those Tobasco plants.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Oh Yeah Chuck! He can do it. He is just looking in the wrong place. He needs to be looking for some good ole Texas dirt. We've got enough BS here to make anything happen :mrgreen:
Bob

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Never even tasted rhubarb and only tasted asparagus once. I was underwhelmed.

Strawberry plants are full of flowers and some small berries are forming. They were full of flowers and berries about 3 weeks ago but a couple of days of mid 20's burnt them pretty bad, even though they were covered. It didn't harm the plants, though.
I've eaten a few carrots over the winter. The trellis for the cucumbers went up last week. Some of the local trees are just starting to put out tiny buds. Spring is in the air!

Cucumbers, bell peppers and tomatoes are our mainstays. We don't eat enough of anything else to make it worth planting. I transplanted some banana plants and will try to get them to produce. The variety is Burro. They taste almost nothing like a commercial banana........more of a citrusy taste. A really ripe one tastes like lemon meringue pie. MMMMMMmmmm.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Oh, the deep mulch is working. I've put down about 18" of leaves, grass clippings, hay and chopped up banana plants. It's mostly all composted down to just 2 or 3 inches. The first 4 inches of the original soil has become dark, rich and airy. If you remember, all this mulch was just laid over cardboard which was laid right over the turf grass. No digging, no grass removal.
The only downside I can see to this method is actually getting enough organic matter to keep it up. I figure it's a good trade-off for not having to till, pull weeds or water frequently.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I used to "liberate" bananas, pineapple, and papayas in Okinawa. Limes were tree ripened, not truck ripened.

At home, we grew Dunlap strawberries. Mid sized and double flavored. Mom made biscuits with Bisquick, and I dutifully soaked them with berries.

Cucumbers! Ever try sliced cucumbers and onions in cream, with a bit of vinegar? Add salt and pepper, and it's one heckuva side dish.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Jack, cucumbers with cream and vinegar??!! No offense, but that doesn't sound like a good mix at all. I guess I've eaten Cajun cooking for too long. :mrgreen:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
jdupre' said:
Jack, cucumbers with cream and vinegar??!! No offense, but that doesn't sound like a good mix at all. I guess I've eaten Cajun cooking for too long. :mrgreen:

Joey I'm with you , cucumbers pealed and sliced ( a little less the 1/4 an inch across ) and mixed with sliced onion pieces. Then in a mason jar and covered with vinegar. If you want to a little salt and pepper can also be added to the jar. Put the jar in the frig for a few days before serving / enjoying it. The mix will last a long time if you don't eat all of it 1st. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Lessee, I've tried okra and gree-itz, and you guys are afraid of what I'm suggesting? Mmmm.

Everyone knows that Grits and fried Okra are delicious , heck Okra any way is good. There are serious questions about the combination you suggested.

Cucumbers with Cream and Vinegar , darn you add a little vinegar to milk to make buttermilk. Why not just have Cucumbers and Buttermilk ???

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
oldsparkey said:
jdupre' said:

Joey I'm with you , cucumbers pealed and sliced ( a little less the 1/4 an inch across ) and mixed with sliced onion pieces. Then in a mason jar and covered with vinegar. If you want to a little salt and pepper can also be added to the jar. Put the jar in the frig for a few days before serving / enjoying it. The mix will last a long time if you don't eat all of it 1st. :D
Instead of putting vinegar on them try Italian salad dressing. Very good.
Bob

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I save the juice in a pickle jar when the pickle slices are eaten. I like the Bread an Butter pickles so that is the juice I reuse. Here is what I like to do.........
Take the jar keeping the juice in it and add some sliced up cucumber pieces then let it sit in the frig for a month or longer. Later when you take some out they will have picked up some of the spices from the pickle juice but still have that fresh cucumber taste.
It's also pretty good with sliced sweet onion pieces ( Valida onions are really good this way ) marinating in the pickle juice. I usually have a jar of each going at one time.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Pickle Juice (bread and butter is my favorite too - when I make them, I also add some garlic and hot pepper) is a very good marinade. Pork and chicken are both good in it; haven't tried beef or fish yet. I would guess that beef wouldn't benefit as much? But, individual tastes trumps all cooking rules.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Joey,
Here is a thought. If you know any cattle ranchers they usually have piles of uneaten hay where they hay their cows in the winter. They might let you go around to their haying spots and fork up the remaining hay. Also look for Good hay that is ruined and not fit for feeding. Do not use rough prairie hay as it will be full of weed seeds. Good Bahia or Jigs should be fairly clean of weed seeds. Just a thought.
Bob