Free Wood | SouthernPaddler.com

Free Wood

islandpiper

"Ask and it shall be given, seek and ye shall find."

I am about to kit out a UJ style boat for a young fellow here. Naturally, the budget is sort of tight. By surprise tonight a friend brought over a bunch of pine that will make great gunwales and frames, and glued-up will make stems, too.

This is mostly 100-year-old nice clear pine which was rafter sheathing in the attic of an OLD house. Ripped to size it will be great gunwales and much of it is about 14 feet long.

I need to hold enough for the boat in progress here, but I'd be happy to share the rest with you all, whoever can stop in and pick up what you need.

Let me know.....email or message or call the shop. piper

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
congratulations on getting the wood, wood like that is nearly impossible to get today unless from a salvage operation

It's likely what they called center matched, it would be a higher grade sheathing than common shiplap

center matched was clear and shiplap had tight knots

my only experience has been with shiplap and after years of being in the heat just under the shingles, it was brittle. Try to select pieces such that your fasteners - if you use any - pass through at least three growth rings to minimize splitting.

islandpiper

I made two of the shorts into a big "X" and leaned al the long stuff up on it out by the road with a big FREE WOOD sign on it. it took about an hour and a lady was there with a pickup truck and hauled it all away. She was making a Visqueen covered greenhouse and needed wood. I helped her load it and waved when she left.

piper

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
islandpiper said:
That's a real pi$$er when you can't even GIVE AWAY wood. wow. piper
Well one thing is for sure, I am too far away or you would have had the wood gone faster than a new york minute, if thats any consulation. I have met a piece of wood that I did not like, unlike some wimmin. :lol: