French splash in a new boat | SouthernPaddler.com

French splash in a new boat

ribor

Dec 1, 2008
The "Marne" (a river near Paris) was cold, but "the thing" did not sink during the "splash-test" then we did not have to swim :)
"The thing" is a kind of ..."family perissoire"(1), or pirogue, or simple canoe, or dory, or... something else..?
"The thing" is build without epoxy (my parking box is too cold) but with polyurethane glue(Sikaflex pro 11FC), in exterior plywood (5mm) with a first coat of G4 (kind of varnish polyurethane) on the bottom.
Lenght is 5,02 m, width on bottom 63cm, actual weight <~20kg (but I think it will be ~35kg when all finished). Actual cost is ~200 € (I just need to buy the paint), and build time ~25h.
Now it will be time to put seat, external stern, rails, foam, an other global enduction with G4... and paint when my 10 years old daughter will make her choice about the colour :)... (there are some other things to do but I forgot the "english" name..!).
Later (but before hollydays time, the 1st of july..!) I will (must!) do 1 outrigger for sailing "the thing" with my wife on the sea (near shore!)... but I don't know if I will go from France tu US in "the thing" ;-)
And "the thing" will have a new name after a family ballot...
I will do a "blog"... but it will be mostly in french (some people think that, even for somebody who does not speak french, il will be easier tou understand ;-)

Pictures talk better than me...here some of "the thing"
(in the first one (2009/05/11) you can imagine my "car-box" is full of boats, bicycle, and light... It's true for boats and bicycles... but the only light is the flash of the camera, and there is no electricity in it... I worked with a little camping battery powered head lamp :-(
Ribor
(1) Example of what is a perissoire: http://www.framemuseums.org/images/phot ... 772403.jpg

IMGP0319-86.JPG

04062009347.jpg

04062009356.jpg

04062009363.jpg

islandpiper

Ribor, BRAVO! Vous êtes l'un de nous. Vous avez créé un beau bateau, en effet. Beaucoup d'entre nous connaissent des conditions de travail sous l'étroit, même si la plupart d'entre nous ont l'électricité.

ribor, BRAVO!! You are one of us. You have crafted a fine boat, indeed. Many of us here know about working under cramped conditions although most of us have electricity.

Your English is fine, keep up the good work and tell us more of your boat. And of course, LOTS OF PICTURES!!

cheers, Piper

ribor

Dec 1, 2008
Thank you for the comment... and felicitation for your french!
I have the plan, and I took notes and picture during the 1st part of the build... but before the 1st splash, I was not completely certain it will really be a boat :), then I will not publish a blog... :) Now I will do it, but mostly in french, and I will post some picture here... and the 2nd part of the build.

For the "belt thwart" nobody try it as seat, nor as kneeling thwart :) It was not because I had question about my glue, but it was the simplest way to attach safely a line (only inner sterns at that time), and I look the boat alone in the water to be sure she does not sink before trying it (water is cold in Marne;-)

I, and my daughter, were surprised how stable she felt , even in the waves of some big barges! And the high rocker (~9cm) does not affect too much her tracking ability (I am a canoeist and dinghy's sailor for "few" decades - more than 40 years! - then it is not a completely novice feeling)
RiBor

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Fact is, Ribor, I use light weight line for thwarts in my canoe. Since a thwart mainly is in stress, not compression, I use a line. Lighter than a stick of wood and does the job. For portaging, I attach a tumpline in the boat, and have a center thwart (another line) across my shoulder blades, not resting on my shoulders. It's a bit different than some are used to, a lot lighter, and quite serviceable.

This Grandpa is glad to see you involve your kids. Good on ya.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Ribor,

It is wonderful to see someone posting from so far away. Thanks for sharing this with us!

And condolences to you and your countrymen regarding the horrible airplane accident. May peace be with the families of those who have been lost.

George