Garlic Vinegar or Hot Pepper Vinegar. | SouthernPaddler.com

Garlic Vinegar or Hot Pepper Vinegar.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Digging around in some old books I found some of this information , some I already knew. :wink:
Want to have some vinegar and garlic on a trip.
Peel the cloves from one large garlic and add them to 1 quart of vinegar. ( white distilled Vinegar )
Let it steep for 2 weeks then strain and ( this part will make oldyaker cry ) discard the garlic.
It only takes a few drops to flavor your foods. One teaspoon of the garlic vinegar will be the equivalent of a small clove of garlic.
I will bet ....This is really good when some is mixed in hamburger along with whatever spices or extras you like. Going to try some in a few weeks. :D
My grandmother always had a jar of cucumbers and onions sliced and sitting in vinegar. You will find the same in my frig , especially with the vidalias that are in season right now.
Nothing but , onion , cucumbers , salt , pepper and the vinegar covering all of it.
The same can be done with Hot Peppers.

I know a lot of us use the regular peppers and make our own hot sauce but here is a quick way.
Pour 1 pint of vinegar into a clean bottle with a cap. Add 1/2 ounce of cayenne pepper and let it sit for two weeks out of any direct sun light. Shake the bottle about every other day. After the 2 weeks , strain and pour it into a separate clean bottle to use.

( Haven't tried it ...YET... But am thinking of combining the cayenne with the garlic and might add some onion as a seasoning for meat on the grill ) A small bottle of it on a camping trip would offer a lot of flavor and take up very little space.

By the way...
Vinegar can be used as a substitute.
1. It can replace Lemon or lime juice for cooking 1/2 teaspoon for each teaspoon of juice.
2. Potatoes and vegges sprinkling , lightly , with vinegar can replace salt normally used on them.
3. As a substitute for wine in cooking , 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water in place of the wine. ( The word "vinegar" derives from the Old French vin aigre, meaning "sour wine". It is also known as acidity regulator E260. )
4. Need buttermilk for a recipe and are out , 1 tablespoon of vinegar in one cup of whole milk and in a few minutes ... buttermilk. ( That hint is as old as time)

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Chuck,
My famile has made pepper sauce for years. Basiclly you stuff a small mouthed decorative bottle (it stays on the table with salt and pepper shakers) sull of whatever small peppers you like and fill with vinegar. We never strain the peppers out of the vinegar. When you have used all the vinegar add more vinegar. Re add vinegar couple of times if you want before replacing the peppers. Gonna hafta try the garlic. Not being one who can follow directions very well I will probally leave the garlic in the bottle. :D
Bob

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Truthful Jack,

Ya provoked a thought....Jose Cuervo Gold instead. Then I give myself some upper cuts. Vodka iz fine on onions 'n garlic, but good tequila only goes in a glass...no salt, no lemons, no funky white boy music. [Sorry, but the whole thing brung up that song 'n it crept inta my typin' hand.] Now it's Third Rate Romance, Low Rent Rendezvous. STOP IT! Now.

On the way ta the Lost Mine last week I went fer gas at the Murphy in Murphy, Northern Carolina while Miz Bear went fer some Vidalias at the Mister Sam Walton Store. She come out with "organic" Vidalias. I dont know what they done ta them onions, but they aint near bout az tasty az the real ones.....tiny too. Anyway, last nite I seen we had too many onions, so I cut up some of the reglar onions in apple cider vinegar with Zatarains. [Didnt have no white vinegar.] I mite taste some tonite, but I figger they need more time. Oh....I had some homegrown wild garlic that had been settin' by the stove near bout 2 years. I cut 'em up 'n put 'em in with the onions....mebbe some garlic powder too. It wuz late 'n I dont recall....mebbe Roscoe Brown frum Arkansaw will know? Naw.....

Some evenin' I mite give that Vodka a try. When the Mexicans come, they brung the Patron 'n other high dollar tequila. Ya gotta work danged hard ta have enuff dough ta buy that stuff. When my stimulus check comes, I mite give some of it a try.

regards
bearridge

ps I got a musical Terrette's Syndrome, but they wont give me a handicap sticker fer my pickup tho. [sigh]

Non cooperation with evil is as much a duty as cooperation with good. Gandhi

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Bear. I didn't know you were a tequila gourmet......

back when the thundering hoard came thru for the annual spring crawfish boil, someone left half a bottle of Patron in my freezer - I should've offered you some for an after breakfast drink

last time i messed with any tequila was about 40 years ago and it took us about two weeks to pick up all the lemons that were scattered around the house

i'll stick with whiskey thank you

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend seedtick,

I been a fan of tequila fer quite a spell, but a few times it made me wonder why. Me'n Tom got a pal who lives out frum Mexico City who used ta train the Brit specialized forces. He brung some bottles of the extra good stuff on the airplane when he come up ta Buzzard's Bluff ta shoot airguns one spring 6-7 years ago. One bottle had a dead ('er dead drunk) worm in it. I had one of the last sips last April when I stopped by the bluff. Hector wuz the one who tole us that only cheap tequila needs salt 'n lemons. Keep that Patron hid frum any thirsty geezers. I'll come back down quick az I kin ta have a sip 'er three.

the thirsty
bearridge

It aint what ya dont know that hurts ya. What really puts a hurtin' on ya iz what ya knows fer sho, that jest aint so. Uncle Remus

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack Daniels , Jim Beam for sipping before a trip. Early times out camping since can be mixed in anything and anything is what Ole Bear Likes , even without the mixes. :lol:

Mac Likes the Rum ( a guaranteed headache provider in the morning when or if you manage to get up ) a shot of it in the morning stops that. Then there is the 1,100 proof Vodka that Mac has along with some grapefruit juice . :oops: :shock: :? :mrgreen: That is something nothing will cure in the morning , not even some coffee that you might be able to drop an anchor in without it sinking , the coffee would dissolve it or just toss it back out.

Then there is that Dago wine , a lot of us have been Dagoed by Oldyaker , wine does offer a body a good nights sleep but getting up in the morning requires a few cups of coffee to figure out where we are and why we are there. Usually a sniff of some GARLIC makes you recover really fast. :lol:

Other then for those minor problems while enjoying the campfire before.... KRASHING fer the night ... most of our trips are just the run of the mill ones and we always behave ourselves. Never , ever do anything stupid and always obey the laws about no booze in the camp. We are usually a few feet outside the designated camping area. :roll:

Chuck.