GI Mess Kit.......The real McCoy. | SouthernPaddler.com

GI Mess Kit.......The real McCoy.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I am in Hog Heaven ......... It did not get here in time for the last trip but it is here now.

Boy does this bring back memories of some good times and some bad ones.

What is it , it is something quite simple that most , if not all of the guy's I go paddling and camping with use when it comes around to happy hour..... NO , Not the drinks , that is before happy hour , the main happy hour is when we sit down and chow down on all of the food we have for a meal and we always have a lot of it.

My official , Ya can't destroy it no matter how hard you try .....Stainless Steel GI Mess Kit. The original fry pan for anything , or the put the SOS in there , cookie , and let me at it pan.....Done , all gone , good ... then ... Dunk it in the hot water then the soapy water and the final rinse and use it again for the next meal. Or just scrub it out with some sand and rinse it in the river pan.

The indestructible , cook in it , fry in it , boil in it and then eat out of it stainless steel GI mess kit. It and my little alcohol stove with the pocket cooker or over a open campfire will give me for a lot of back water miles with some eating comfort. I really think this is the best thing our government ever came up with for the guy out in the field.

You can do like I did and get all of the new fangled stuff to use but when it comes down to the push or shove with realibality in one simple , light weight , unit .... this is it. Nothing fancy , just practical and time proven for survival.

You can even pack your knife , fork an spoon in there along with spices , hot sauce and salt & pepper when it is closed up. Everything in a neat , small , lightweight indestructible unit. :D

For you guy's who have been missing the pleasures of the Stainless Steel Mess Trays which will hold more then most folks should eat ....... Especially service chow http://www.imsplus.com/ims44.html will have then in the near future. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
That brings back fond memories... 0500, slight drizzle, lined up with about 789 of your closest friends all with mess kit and canteen cup in hand... Leave an old soldier to his dreams...

They are as heavy as bride's biscuts and just about as indestructible.

Cooking in the kit is just like using any other stainless steel pan.

I carry the knife/fork/spoon set but the local surplus store didn't have any mess kits so I bought the MSR brand set.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
IMS Plus has them , used from $5.00 to brand new for $12.95 , I even found one web site that has the ones From Nam. I was told they were hard to locate , I sure would like to know what the person (who told me that ) was spaced out on , they are everywhere.

Put Mess Kits in the search area on your computer , they are everywhere but look out for the modern version , they are not that hot , I got one by mistake. :evil: It just was not what I was looking for , not the type I was use to like this one I did find.

Jack.... Like BB said .....Just like any stainless steel cooking pan , keep things moving in it and a lower heat so there are no problems. "O" you can even boil water in it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

Mutinousdoug

May 7, 2005
Colorado
Never used one of those mess kits.. boiled everything in a canteen cup using a wad of C-4. Oh, on the firebases we got fed on paper plates.
Still use paper plates when we can burn our trash. Canteen cup is a little heavy fer backpackin'. A little wierd for canoe-campin'. Hated those SST trays.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
In Okinawa, I was road captain of our motorcycle club. We'd spend all Saturday morning getting lost, and all afternoon getting found again. (Didn't take long to learn the island and know where I was with but a fast blink.)

We'd pack lunch on the back of our dirt bikes. I'd often pack a sandwich and some ramen soba (soup). I'd dig a small cone shaped hole, get some sticks, peel the ends of two of them, and dip them into my gas tank. Cap it up, finishing my wood arrangement, and touch a match.

While other guys were fumbling, mumbling, and grumbling, my canteen cup of water was boiling and had noodles in it. They never did catch on to how I got a fire going so fast.

One day, Jimmy had a peanut butter and honey sandwich in a plastic box. After bouncing around all morning on the rack of his bike, it looked like it had been run through a blender. I laughed so hard I fell off my bike seat and rolled on the ground. We went to town for lunch that day.

CamperDave

Nov 12, 2005
Southwestern PA
S/S mess trays

Hey Sparkey...
Like yourself, I was in the Navy...when I saw those S/S mess trays, my stomach got a little "queezie"...the chow I ate on ship wasn't that good, but easily forgotten...and to see those trays again...OMG....I'll probably be on a liquid diet for a few days until my stomach settles down...whew!!!! :(

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Dave,

Where ya been? I dont turn my nose up at any tray, plate, mess kit, etc. long az it haz food on it. :wink:

regards
bearridge

Today Americans would be outraged if U.N. troops entered Los Angeles to restore order; tomorrow they will be grateful. This is especially true if they were told there was an outside threat from beyond, whether real or promulgated, that threatened our very existence. It is then that all peoples of the world will plead with world leaders to deliver them from this evil. The one thing every man fears is the unknown. When presented with this scenario, individual rights will be willingly relinquished for the guarantee of their well being granted to them by their world government.  Henry Kissinger speaking at Evian, France, May 21, 1992 Bilderburgers meeting.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Happiness is a full Mess Kit , especially with the Chip Beef ( SOS) on a shingle and plenty (a heaping mound) of the Carrot an Raisin Salad in the other tray. That is some GOOD Eating and especially with some chocolate mild , nice and cold.

I might have to cook some on the trip for one breakfast , it is a great way to start your day. Not as good as grits but dang close.

Chuck