Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
I have made this and it is good :!: Kahuna Ginger Beer

1 1/2 ounces gingerroot, cut into 3 pieces
1 1/4 pounds sugar
1 tablespoon cream of tartar
2 lemons peeled and thinly sliced
1 gallon spring water, boiling
1/2 ounce yeast, creamed with 1 teaspoon sugar.

Bruise the pieces of ginger to release the essence and combine
in a large bowl with the sugar, cream of tartar and the peel and pulp of the
lemons.Add the boiling water and stir well to dissolve the sugar, set aside
to cool. When lukewarm, add the yeast . Cover the bowl with a clean cloth
and set aside in a warm place for 24 hours. Skim strain and bottle the
liquid making sure that the bottles are securely corked, consume after 3
days.

A

Anonymous

Kahuna
Did you know that you can buy Ginger Beer in any good liquor store, with or with out alcohol. The first time I tasted it was in Bermuda (seems its plentyful there). Be careful paddling the lake with that home made hootch on board.
We don't wanna have to come bail you out of the Greybar Hotel, by the way were you sippin that hootch the day you did your rain dance? :roll:
DocMobius

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Guest ....Oooops Doc, sorry about that.

You can also purchase a boat and not be bothered with building it but that boat is just not be as good as the one you made. :)

I would be willing to say that the Ginger Beer is the same way. I have no idea but will sure as heck find out, now I just have to get some empty bottles , which store sells them?
Chuck.

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
You can use plastic soda bottle or water bottles. 16 ounce etc.. with screw top. Remember pressure will build up so be careful. Kahuna

You can also purchase a boat and not be bothered with building it but that boat is just not be as good as the one you made. :)

I would be willing to say that the Ginger Beer is the same way. I have no idea but will sure as heck find out, now I just have to get some empty bottles , which store sells them?
Chuck.[/quote] :lol:

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
WOW!!!!!!!!

Guys, I just bottled the Ginger Beer. I tasted just a cup of it and WOW :!: It isn't run of the mill. It is really good stuff. I'm thinking the next time I bottle to add a dropor two of coconut flavoring and you'd have cocktail in a bottle. It is similiar to "Mikes Hard Lemonade" you buy at the liquor store. I made it in my Mr Beer. And adjusted recipe to make 2-1/2 gallons. I just bottled 8 liters and then some. The original recipe called for brewers yeast but I used chamagne yeast. It took 4-1/2 bup almost 6 cups of sugar to make it just right.
Kahuna :roll:

Bullhead

Mar 27, 2005
Indiana
Ohhhh, I read fluent typo but I thought this might be sompthin' new to learn. I will have to try this out. I love Ginger beer.

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
BATCH A BEER

This time I used 2 pounds of dark brown sugar,powered ginger and 2 additional cups of white sugar. Since I use dry champagne yeast it eats the sugar up fast. This stuff isn't rot gut either. It is really good. I prefer the powdered ginger over the fresh. I like the "bite" given by the powdered.
Kahuna
:roll:

kev70s

Apr 1, 2005
IL
hi how much powered ginger did you use am interested in trying this does it have alchol content to it ot non alchol thanks for any replies :wink:

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!

A tablesooon and a half(aprox)
This stuff when made like I do with champagne yeast When fully done is full of ALKY HOL and will knock you on your booty!!

KAHUNA

P.S. I was just think about making some for the Fall.... :!:

kev70s said:
hi how much powered ginger did you use am interested in trying this does it have alchol content to it ot non alchol thanks for any replies :wink: