Glass tape. | SouthernPaddler.com

Glass tape.

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
Since I had so many wrinkles on the seams of my pirogue, I decided to just sand them off, and tape the seam.
I bought some six inch tape from Raka. It was six ounce, because Larry had an odd roll that he was willing to sell cheap.
What the heck do you with the threads on the edges? I tried working them back into the tape as I was applying the epoxy, that didn't work. I tried cutting them off, back to where they were still part of the cloth, that didn't work.
I finally just pulled them out, when one turned loose. Then I would have to go back, and reflatten the tape, because pulling the thread out lifted the edges of the tape.
Some of the threads have been epoxyed for 12 feet or so. I have 12 foot long ice picks all over the back yard at the moment.
Of course, the transverse threads are now sticking up, and will have to be sanded back to the surface.
Does anyone have a method that involve less work?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
If you over work the tape the one side will unravel on you. When that happens just forget it and walk away. Something that is hard to do since they bug you , the more you mess with them the more problems you will have.
Just walk away....... Have a cold brew or something and forget them for a while.

After everything sets up then give them a light sanding to conform to the boat. This is why they invented sandpaper. :wink:

The best tape you can use is some left over glass that you cut on the diagonal , this way the ends will not fray , or at lease not as bad as you had with the tape.
When epoxying it to the boat pretend you are doing it to your ( Little partners don't read any more ) testicles ... a very light touch is needed. :oops:

Some of the construction requiers a Bull in a China Shop approach and some others require the touch the Doc does on you for a full physical. :wink:

Chuck.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
t

Jim,
The tape I got had one finished edge. That edge was a bit larger than the rest of the tape. The other edge was unfinished. I just put a strip of masking tape down the unfinished edge holding all the loose threads in place. I only taped the very edge.

After applying the epoxy, when the epoxy had stiffened and could be touched without sticking to me. I just ran a razor blade along the edges, removed the ridge from the finished edge and the tape along with the threads from the other edge.

Be sure you don't use a lot of pressure. Just enough to cut the tape. NOT scar the boat .

After that, it wasa just a feathering sand to blend the tape edges in.

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
Chuck, Bald cypress.
Thanks a lot. I did wonder if a bias cut tape tape would work better, but taping the edge down never occured to me.
I have so much glass and epoxy on this craft, that I might be able to drive over it with my truck, but it ain't gonna leak!
The taping ploy would ensure an even edge to to follow with the graphite coats.
Thanks again,
Jim

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Jim,

No matter what tricks and techniques you employ, when you get all done you will get to sand. Sand. Sand.

You can do it either like the karate kid and use many arm swings, or use your brain and get he one, power tool that you really need - a power sander.

I use a quarter-sheet sander; others like the kind with oval shaped sheets. Either way, prepare for a hobby of sanding. You're going to have to paddle a lot to out run the hours of sanding. But, once you break through the other side - FREEDOM!