Glass time, outgassing | SouthernPaddler.com

Glass time, outgassing

Obie

Mar 15, 2006
Wisconsin
Question for you-all.
I've glassed the outside of my canoe and seal-coated the inside. Now do i still have to time the inside glassing so the temperature is dropping(which means for me to be later evening, or can i glass during the morning/afternoon and not be concerned of the temperatures?
i haven't tried glassing in the day-time as yet, but there seems to be a lot of warnings about the timing to avoid "outgassing". That is, besides avoiding eating a lot of beans:>

Obie

JEM

if the inside is sealed already, you'll have less chance of outgassing being an issue.

You still may get some from the epoxy. 2 ways to address: glass when temp is dropping, or baby sit it for about the first 2 hours while it's curing.

Just check it every 20 minutes or so to see if there's any little bubbles you need to pop.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
If you do it in the morning there is a good chance you will have some bubbles while in the evening the possibility of them decreases.
Having the boat epoxy saturated, before glassing it reduces the chances of bubbles quite a lot , since the wood is sealed.

Either way after you have the glass in the boat you might want to give it light sanding before you put another coat of epoxy on it so if there are some bubbles, the sand paper will get rid of them.
Or just check the boat several time after you glass it, looking for any bubbles and then dry brush them out before the epoxy sets up.

Chuck.

Pirogue

The late great Robb White used to heat his shop up. Then he would turn off the heaters and apply the epoxy. It had the completely opposite effect by drawing the epoxy deaper into the wood.

I have read books that recommend you epoxy in the afternoon and into the night. By morning everything should be set and outgassing shouldn't be a problem.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Robb White frum Thomasville, Georgia?

All right now, I'm comin' out. Any man I see out there, I'm gonna shoot him. Any sumbitch takes a shot at me, I'm not only gonna kill him, but I'm gonna kill his wife. All his friends. Burn his damn house down. William Munny

Bullhead

Mar 27, 2005
Indiana
Hmmm, more things I never heard about... do you have to glass only on a new moon or is full better? I tried swinging a cat over my head first but all that did was I got a lot of scratches.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
I don't know but I did some the other day when it was 60 F which is real cool for here. The sufff was very slow to go off. Was still tacky to touch 14 hours later. :shock: