glassing bottom on pirogue | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

glassing bottom on pirogue

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I know this might sound strange, but , unlike many of you, I like sanding. :shock: That's IF I have a tool that does the job well. It's strangely rewarding to see a ragged, blotchy surface change into a smooth plane showing all the natural wood grain. Almost as rewarding as seeing the grain pop out when you cover that pretty wood with varnish.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Yes, I am one dusty man. Sanded off 99% of the paint from the bottom and sides. I just have to go back over the boat one more time to get all the stubborn places.

100_0652.jpg

100_0651.jpg

I'm liking the woodgrain on the sides. I just might clean the sides up a bit more and finish it bright. After the graphite, there will only be about 7 inches showing.

As for glass cloth and epoxy---I'm thinking 6 yards to do the sides and bottom and two to three quarts of epoxy. How does that sound?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
jdupre' said:
...After the graphite, there will only be about 7 inches showing. ...
I understand graphite on the bottom - why on the sides? Are you planning to paddle tipped over? Only put graphite where it will be scrubbing against stuff. If your boat had a semi rounded bottom, then clear up to the waterline would be useful. Here, I don't see any need to do that. Your option.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Jack, it seems like most of the boats I see on here have graphite on the sides up to the waterline or maybe a little higher. That seems like a good idea. If I do that, I'll only have about 7 inches of wood showing on the sides.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
The boats with it up the sides have semi-rounded bottoms where they will be exposed to underwater objects. Certainly you can put it anywhere you want, but on a flat bottom, I can envision only the bottom would be exposed to scrapes in the waters you paddle. Up here, with granite and other rocks at landings, sides get scraped. In the swamps, I wouldn't expect that. But, you might be right.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Placed an order with Larry at Raka this morning. He was really helpful and answered my questions as well as giving me a crash course in epoxy application. He seemes like a really nice chap. Looking forward to my project.

Joey