Glassing Outside TV 15-32 | SouthernPaddler.com

Glassing Outside TV 15-32

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Glassing Outside TV 15-32
I am about ready to glass the outside of my TV 15-32. I am looking for suggestions on how to glass the outside. One or two pieces of cloth? It looks like glassing the tumble homes upside down would be a challenge. How have some of you handled glassing the outside?

I decided on building it out of on hand Luan to gain experience with S & G. I will be doing SS&G in the future. One of these Luan pieces turned out to be pretty bad, the more I’ve worked the more defects I‘ve found.

So far it’s been fun and a learning experience.

Good Fish’n

Andy

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
When I did the outside of my boats I raised them up off the table with some Banana Boxes from the grocery store. This way the boat was elevated and none of it was in contact with the table so I had plenty of room to work with. There was a good 6 inches of free space.
Those boxes are nice and strong plus they hold the boats really solid so they will not wiggle around as you work on it.
I also used a solid piece of cloth and started in the center then worked to one side and down to the ends. Then on the other side from the center to the side and down to the ends.

That's how I did them and it works for me , you will find a way that works for you. :D

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
BUF, don't feel at all guilty about glassing the bottom of the hull with two pieces on your first time out of the box. Once you've done it a time or two, experience will guide you better. For now, you're learning. First chunk can be from rear to middle, and second chink (overlapping a few inches) covers from middle to front. Anything above the shear line, do separately.

Do it in chunks that you are comfortable chewing. Think ahead; stay in front of the airplane.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
I used to have a boss whose mantra was to "try to keep physics on your side"

Glassing on an upside down tumblehome would be tough at best. Turn the boat over to do the tumblehome, use two pieces of glass and keep physics (in this case gravity) on your side

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Gentlemen
Thanks for the responses. Every one of them contains wise advice. I’ve decided it is smarter to utilize your experience, than to keep creating my own experience lessons. Thanks for sharing.
I glassed the inside in three pieces that worked well for me. I’ve decided to glass the outside with Matt’s method. For some reason I was hung up on one piece of cloth or the two piece method in the Lake Cruiser plans.
I will share my build later, the truth is I’ve “lost “ most of the pictures in my phone and need a grandkid to recover them!

Thanks again for your help via previous build post and direct questions. I’m having a great time with this!

Good Fish’n

Andy