Glassing with cloth | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Glassing with cloth

Dogwood

Oct 13, 2008
Tampa
www.TrickyDogs.com
I don't suspect the foam roller at all. This looks like I didn't measure or stir the batch of epoxy properly or there was something not right about the surface I applied it to.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It's a learning process and at times there are mistakes made .... Something all of hate to see happen ... Not like we haven't done them ,( I still make mistakes , about three each day , the 1st is getting out of bed in the morning. Don't believe me , just as my Wife. :lol: )

The best thing is to find a way to correct the problem and then proceed from there. Again , I think the best bet is to talk with the folks that made the epoxy you are using ... I am sure your question to them would not be the 1st one they ever received as far as how to correct it.

Chuck.

coogzilla

May 3, 2008
So Cal USA
One of the things I found out trial and error, mostly errors is if
you don't sand it and give the next coat something to stick to, it can
bead up like you say and than you got twice as much sanding. I really
really hate sanding. I do as much as possible to not have to "sand".
But you just have to do it anyway, sometimes.

I got another boat I learned a bit about poxy on. I read all the ways
your supposed to do it. Ha!! I tried wiping it down. Ammonia, vinegar,
paint thinner, laq. thinner, even gasoline. No dice. I thought about
maybee battery acid, no no. So I tried running a electric sander
over the poxy. Well, that worked. Don't wipe it down with anything
but a damp rag. Try that, I bet ya it will work.

Good luck, Coogs

Dogwood

Oct 13, 2008
Tampa
www.TrickyDogs.com
Although this is my first boat build, I have been building theatrical props with Luan plywood, 6oz cloth and epoxy for years. I've made dozens of magician's cabinet props like "sawing the lady in half" and others.
I've used West Systems, Maas and mostly this stuff from Fiberglass Coatings which is much cheaper. I always just lightly sanded with 180 grit between epoxy coats and coats of gloss latex paint. I always blew and wiped away the dust with a damp rag and then a dry rag. Never a problem till this one. I got the Xylene from Lowes. It only came in a gallon can for $1.20. It's called Xylo, but the guy said it was the right stuff. I'll look it up on the internets and see what it's all about.

Dogwood

Oct 13, 2008
Tampa
www.TrickyDogs.com
Xylene is also called Xylol and that's what my can says. According to those who know, it is similar to Toulene. I can't remember where I read that Xylene was the stuff for epoxy, but I looked at a few epoxy company sites like West Systems and they talk about Acetone and Laquer Thinner, but no mention of Xylene.

Lee Schneidermann

Dec 6, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
STOP!!

I told you the wrong *&^%$ chemical to use. It's acetone I wiped my hull down with. I'm very sorry for the mix up. :oops: :oops: :oops:
I went back and edited my other posts in this thread so I don't screw anyone elses boat up. I'm extremely sorry and embarrassed.

Lee

Dogwood

Oct 13, 2008
Tampa
www.TrickyDogs.com
No problem. I haven't opened the can of Xylol yet and I already have a small can of Acetone that I have used for other purposes. I can return the Xylene to Lowes, get my $1.20 refunded and wipe my boat with Acetone.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Lee,

That wuz a purty good one. That put ya in the runnin' fer the monthly Geezer Award, but dont count on winnin'. Most of the geezers on here mess up like that at least once a week......ask our wives. :wink:

regards
bearridge

I once said cynically of a politician, "He'll double-cross that bridge when he comes to it." Oscar Levant

Lee Schneidermann

Dec 6, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Friend Bear,
Sometimes I forget which chemical I've been "huffin'" :roll: :roll: :roll:
I just got done using xylene to unstick some formica from a counter top at work. Re-laminatining fumes are better than Bourbon for destroying brain cells!

Lee

Dogwood

Oct 13, 2008
Tampa
www.TrickyDogs.com
I did wipe the inside of my boat with Acetone and it looks so much better that I now want to leave the inside as a natural finish. The Acetone brightened up the scuffed and faded look of the sanded epoxy. Now I just need to find where the varnish talk was in this forum.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Dogwood,

Was that epoxy on bare wood? Or, was it on glass? If it was on glass, was it a tight weave glass? Your pattern looks similar tot he mess I got when using a tight weave glass.

It will not fully conform - and remain conforming - to curves that are not in line with the weave.

Dogwood

Oct 13, 2008
Tampa
www.TrickyDogs.com
I did a saturation coat on bare Luan. The next day, I covered it with 4oz cloth and squeegeed epoxy to wet out the cloth and that came out fine. Two days later, I scuffed up the whole thing with an orbital sander, blew off the dust with air and then wiped it down with a damp rag and then a dry one. I then applied another coat of epoxy with a foam roller and the next afternoon, took that photo of the beaded and still tacky epoxy.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
I'm starting to wonder if you might have accidentally shorted the hardener when you mixed that batch of epoxy. I realize you are experienced with epoxy - but all of us make a mistake, and anything that can go wrong sooner or later will go wrong.

Not enough hardener is the simplest reason for a slow or incomplete cure.

There is a waxy residue that comes to the surface of most epoxies when they cure, though. Seems like I read that West Systems recommended soap and water and/or light sanding before re-coating. It has been a couple of years since my last boat, though, so don't take that as gospel. Like several people said, you should be able to get tech data and support from the supplier and/or manufacturer.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Dogwood said:
Two days later, I scuffed up the whole thing with an orbital sander, blew off the dust with air and then wiped it down with a damp rag and then a dry one. I then applied another coat of epoxy with a foam roller and the next afternoon, took that photo of the beaded and still tacky epoxy.

Did you use a air compressor , if so there might of been some oil in the air tank or moisture mixed with the liquid.

Chuck.

Dogwood

Oct 13, 2008
Tampa
www.TrickyDogs.com
No air compressor, just electric leaf blower. The place that sold me the epoxy suggested improper mixing. Either too little hardener or not blended well enough. Most of the bad stuff is sanded off and the hull is not tacky anymore. I'll try recoating it tomorrow.

coogzilla

May 3, 2008
So Cal USA
fiberglass coatings? I use the same stuff. Found that unless you stir
it and count at least a 100 stirs, it can do what happened when you got
the trouble with it. If get it sanded and mix it good, it will level out
like glass smooth if you tip it with a cheepo foam brush.

good luck, coogs

CutNShoot

Jun 23, 2009
A two stroke leaf blower will give off oil in the exhaust if you used it in the area of the boat that may be your culprit. Especially if it is running a little rich and you used it in a confined space or close to the boat.