Glasssing the botttom | SouthernPaddler.com

Glasssing the botttom

skeetwing

Sep 13, 2012
Well I put the first coat of epoxy on the bottom yesterday and this morning some areas of the plywood appear dry while others are glossy. I know there is some epoxy on the areas that appear dry but dont know if I put it on tooo lightly or if those areas of the plywood just absorbed more of the epoxy. The areas that appear dry are where the wood appears lighter in color while the glossy areas appear on darker looking wood. should I put another coat of epoxy on the whole bottom before laying out the glass or should I just touch up the areas that appear dry?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
One coat is normally good enough unless you wanted to put more on there. :?
On some of my boats I mixed ( diluted ) the epoxy with acetone and then applied it , later I came back and put on another coat full strength just to make sure I have it covered with a good layer of epoxy. The only reason was that I planned on using some thin glass and wanted bottom protection ( In addition to the glass and then a couple layers of epoxy when it was glassed ) it is basically overkill but that is how I do things at times.
It adds weight to the boat so if you are looking for the light weight boat I would skip doing the 2nd coat , especially if you used full strength and not the diluted epoxy mix. That should of strengthened the wood and will give the glass and epoxy something to chemically bond to.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Just curious what sort of plywood it was? Rotary cut pine or fir (your basic BC plywood) would have some areas a lot more absorbent than others.

But I don't think you did anything wrong. You have to saturate the glass, and as long as you paid attention and made sure that the glass was fully saturated, it stands to reason that there is plenty of epoxy on the wood.

gbinga

skeetwing

Sep 13, 2012
gbinga,
It was your regular BC plywood. I feel that the wood was saturated but some areas were definitely nor absorbent tan others. Thanks for the reply.