Gluing strips on a stripped boat | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

Gluing strips on a stripped boat

DCRICE

Jun 2, 2014
Baton Rouge
Thanks Jack. I know that 16-18 lbs. of that 38 lbs. is in Epoxy and 3 3/4 lbs. in glass . Your right, I always make sure that there is plenty epoxy for strength. I must say, that with each boat I build, the amount of epoxy used goes down.
I doubt that anything will cause me to go back to plywood. Working with the solid wood is really a pleasure. I will make a few adjustments to wood thickness and hopefully epoxy use. Later this year I will try to get the Okwata under 40 lbs.
Dan

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Dan
A little tale . On another forum we had a gentleman COUGH that preached light boat building ,he was a fanatic about it and in some private pms he talked three builder in to his way of thinking. Three boats built ,three that got junked, they were just to light for the size of the folks paddling them and there intended usage. All I am saying is dont go overboard over a couple lbs.
Stripping you can save a lot of weight by picking light cedar some boards weigh twice what others at the same dimensions weigh ,reasonable use of epoxy helps ,I want skimp on cloth 6 ounce inside and out is standard for me. I can build a ss@g lighter than a ply boat.
A kayak dolly can also be a great help transporting them.
I use to have a saying ( location sensitive) how you plan to use your boat and the inviroment it is used in is also a consideration. Mine get bounced off rocks I drag them over gravel bars and sand bars up boat ramps.You might even see me paddling up a rapid to unhang another boat ,you have seen that Chuck :lol:
Ron

DCRICE

Jun 2, 2014
Baton Rouge
Your right Ron. The final boat has to be functional and safe. I just got a little sticker shock when I looked at the scale. I thought this boat would weight in the low 30s.
But I did decide to leave all 4 forms in. I did decide to add 1"X1/4"strips on each side of the forms. I did decide to add a cap to the top of all of this. So basically each thwart is a laminated box beam. That is probably where my extra pounds are. I think I will do it all again. If I build the Okwata the same way I built Tayanita then she should only be 41 lbs. Still learning. But, how thin can I plane the panels to and still build a good boat? Chuck used 1/8" ply, but I don't think I have the skill to work with that. How about 3/16" . That would be a weight reduction of about 2 lbs. if I had done it on Tayanita?
Dan

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The Doctors gave me a weight limit I could lift and it was 5 pounds at the start and later I got them to 35 and eventually we ended up at 50 but not all the time. They really did not want to pass the 35.
It is due to the implanted defibrillator and pacer I have , I got a little carried away with the 1st one ( Not listing to the doctors ) and broke the leads which made it go off and keep going off which is NO FUN , including replacing it.
My glass canoe at that time was 80 pounds so I was grounded. To much money for a light weight boat so I decided to make my own and as they say the rest is history. I had to make them as light as possible so I could still load them on a vehicle and go paddling.

Dan....
You are really good at paddling in skinny water , over rocks , against the current to free your paddling buddy from the rock he hung up on , No it was not me it was Ron. Ron had his boat loaded with gear that normally would of been in two boats. :roll:
I bounced the 14 Sasquatch off a couple of them and over several but the boats we used on the Brazos survived and as far as I know they are still used today. My 14 Sasquatch is in the same shape that when I made it except for the dust on it from not being paddled for over a year due to health reasons.

DCRICE

Jun 2, 2014
Baton Rouge
Chuck, I really don't have a weight limit, just some nerve damage from the two neck surgery's that I have had. I am running out of non fused vertebrae. The right arm is fine, but sometimes the left arm can't be trusted. So that is the reason for wanting to pay attention to the weight of the boats. I am looking to build the best combination of stability (for a day of fishing), ease of paddling, and lite weight. We don't have any rocks and rapids near Baton Rouge, but one day I am liable to find some, so the boat has to meet my idea of strength. You guys have given me great information based on your real experience and I thank you all. Just a month or so ago I was trying to figure out how to glue thin strips together, and now with ya'lls help I have a strip build under my belt.
I think the best boat for me will be the Okwata, the plywood one I built is plenty stable and paddles easy. I will make it open top for normal use and make some silicon nylon covers for rainy days. I will use cedar lumber with a final thickness of 3/16", 6 oz. glass inside and out. I think, from the experience with the last boat, that it will come in just under 40 lbs.
Thanks
Dan

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Interesting lady. Tell her (1) to contact "Back To The Wild" in Ohio. They nurse injured animals and return them to the wild. And (2) to visit any small airfield in Michigan to view sandhill cranes. Sometimes a lot closer than a pilot really wants them to be.