Going back to the 70's. | SouthernPaddler.com

Going back to the 70's.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
This weekend ( New Years Day weekend 2022 ) One of our TV Channel's was playing all of the Columbo series with Peter Faulk. Whats interesting is the way things were done back then.
The shows were spell binders , you wanted to watch to see how Columbo would figure out what happen. Yes , they involved murders since he was a homicide detective. That is about as far as any form of violence when during the show. Even the murders were more to the imagination then actually seeing the person get shot with blood flying all over the place.
There wasn't all of the stuff they think that is necessary for today's shows. Like shoot outs , fist fights , car chases , sex scenes , mass killings , train wrecks , plane wrecks , profanity , fowl language , racism and the rest of the crap in today's movies. There was politeness , question and answer with everything tastefully done. A lot was left for your imagination.
One political correctives taboo of today's world would be that short , stubby , cigar Columbo always had with him and puffed on.

Things sure have changed from the 70's to today's shows.
One fun part for me , I really like identifying the types of vehicles ( saw several like I had back then ) and styles of dress from then.

Chuck.

Reactions: Gamecock

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Columbo was a great show and Peter Falk was the perfect actor for the part.

You are right, television (and movies) at the time was much more civilized. I am of the belief that all of the violence depicted by television, film and video games plays a large part in the violence we see in our society today. Young people want to emulate it because if it is on the screen, it's cool. It numbs people, especially young people, to the reality of violence and what happens afterward. It's not like the media shows it, real people are really dead and they won't get back up to play again and again.

We need the "kinder and gentler nation" George Bush the 1st called for in one of his speeches. I think that starts with Hollywood.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
The Sons of The Pioneers, and The Riders of The Purple Sage kind of epitomized Western music - until Marty Robbins came along.

Nasal hillbillies attached the word Western to what they called country music. But, Bing Crosby was closer to Western music than anything I’ve ever heard on CW.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Can't beat the Son's of the Pioneers for that western feeling when you listen to them. I have their records in the old 45 green ones. Modern version are on tapes.

Another member of the Son's was Pat Brady who was Roy Rogers side kick in most of his shows and drove around in his faitful jeep "Nellybelle." He also was a 2 time purple heart recipient from the Battle of the Bulge with Patton's third Army.