Going nocturnal | SouthernPaddler.com

Going nocturnal

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
It was 106 her today ,and the river is down and clear.
Darrel and I are going to make a night paddling trip . I love paddling at night there is wildlife everywhere.
We are rigging two led light up on each boat ,should be interesting.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
"O" Boy .... I love a night paddling run down some river at night in the moon light , there are all sorts of things to see and enjoy. Then in the heat of the day you camp and relax.

It does reverse everything and makes it a lot more interesting. Getting up when it is dark and cool then enjoying the night and later when the sun comes up hitting the sack in a comfortable camp. It is a whole different world and one that is very interesting. It does make a river your are use to and tosses it into a different perspective for the persons pleasure.

I have done it several times on the Econ which is at my back door. I have been on it for more years then I care to admit ( most of my life ) but a night run on it is a whole different world....... Same river but a whole different experience. With some luck you will not bounce off a gator night prowling like I have done. That does wake you up if you are sleepy. :wink:

Dam Ron .. You are on the last quarter of the full moon........Better forget the flashlights and let your eyes get use to the less light. Star light can be really bright along with the light from any major cities by you.

Man , I wish I was with you on this trip.

Chuck...........
Looking forward to a trip report.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Chuck
We might bounce off a gator gar ,but no gators up here.
I love going down a river at night ,it does add a new dimension
Ron.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
These lights are much brighter than the head lamps,also I dont want the light close to my face because of the bugs so they will be boat mounted.
Darrel has some super bright jobs he is making.
Ron

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
These are not spotlights. They will fit in the palm of my hand. Once I am finished making them and Ron and I test them out, I will post up some pics of what they are and some different mounting options.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack
You ever wonder why spotlighting is illegal ,it to dang easy to sneak up on wildlife at night with a spotlight. :roll:
Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Right, Ron. I'm guessing that by "sneaking up" with a bright spotlight in their eyes, you don't mean that you successfully stalked him and he was unaware of your presence. Is it more like, they are stunned and confused by the bright light, so they don't make a quick decision to run?

I'll be interested to see your light rigs, thanks.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack
I think you are visualizing this wrong ,the lights will be shined over the water to the front of the boat on each side. to see in the water mostly ,the glow from the lights lights up the banks
where you see most of the wildlife,but the light isnt really directed at them.
In my other boats just running a troll motor I have been with in 10 yards of coyotes, deer, coons,beaver, hogs,bobcats. all not really spooked.
It is a neat experience .
Ron

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Well Ron has Serial # 0001 in his possession and the trip plans are made. I am very impressed with the performance so far but I am biased so I will let Ron give his first impression.

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Me and Ron took the Duck and LongHorn on a overnight paddle.

At the put-in

MorgansPoint001.jpg

The new lights I built, In action on the Duck.

MorgansPoint006.jpg

MorgansPoint004.jpg

Battled the bugs

MorgansPoint003.jpg

Stopped for the night after about ten miles.

MorgansPoint013.jpg

We did a little gar fishing. No good hook-ups but we had several good runs. We used Milret's patented glow bracelet technology. :D

MorgansPoint015.jpg

MorgansPoint014.jpg

We hit the water again about dark yesterday and paddled the last ten miles after dark. It sure is nice to paddle at night this time of the year. The Duck and LongHorn handled nicely even being overloaded. After this trip we know that our narrower boats can handle the load of an overnight trip. The lights I am making worked extremely well, with about 150 yard range. We passed a guy camping and we said he thought an airboat was coming with the way the river was lit up.

The LongHorn cutting the River nicely right at Dusk yesterday.

MorgansPoint018.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Glad for you guys that the lights worked out so well , success is always sweet. :D Paddling at night in the summer time is a lot cooler then during the daylight. Camp during the day and enjoy the river at night.
I'm not an inventor and dream up things like your lights for the boat so my night time trips are when the full moon is up there as a night light. "O" Well just call me primitive and with no imagination. There has been times when a set up like you had would of been useful but those are far and few in between , really far in between.

Now I have to ask.... The camper thought an Air Boat was coming , they are usually quite loud ( you can hear then a long distance away , like miles on a still night ) while the boats you guys have are really quiet. That leads me to one conclusion......

How can Ron sleep ( Snore) and still paddle ???????????? :lol:

Chuck.
PS. I know it was the lights the camper noticed but I saw a good chance to pick on Ron........ Or was it a combination of the two , light and noise. :wink: